GCS Forum: papaya - when to harvest? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

papaya - when to harvest?

#1 User is offline   SonyaSz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

hi there - after years of trying with planting many papaya trees we finally have many full fat fruit on our tree! My question is at what point do I cut a fruit from the tree? My neighbour said I should wait until I see some yellow on the fruit (which is now of course completely green). Is this right? Sorry if this is blindingly obvious to many of you but I've never grown a papaya fruit before.... Thanks!

#2 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

View PostSonyaSz, on Aug 21 2008, 09:53 PM, said:

hi there - after years of trying with planting many papaya trees we finally have many full fat fruit on our tree! My question is at what point do I cut a fruit from the tree? My neighbour said I should wait until I see some yellow on the fruit (which is now of course completely green). Is this right? Sorry if this is blindingly obvious to many of you but I've never grown a papaya fruit before.... Thanks!

your neighbour's right. may be a good idea to pick it when 1/3 - 1/2 yellow cos otherwise the birds will start eyeing it too. it's possible to leave it longer on the tree if you can wrap newspaper around the fruit.

also look out for snails. they can be pesky, climb up the truck and attach themselves to the fruit, leaving marks.

This post has been edited by shamrock: 21 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

#3 User is offline   skyfiery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography. Nature. Horseback-riding. Nature. Spirituality. Esoteric beliefs. Philosophy. Astronomy. Canines. Lupines. Golden eagles. Native American and Celtic cultures.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

View Postshamrock, on Aug 21 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

your neighbour's right. may be a good idea to pick it when 1/3 - 1/2 yellow cos otherwise the birds will start eyeing it too. it's possible to leave it longer on the tree if you can wrap newspaper around the fruit.

And hang a NO BIRDS ALLOWED!!! sign on the fruits. LOL.

*waves to Sonya* Hello. :)/>

Sky

#4 User is offline   Guanster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I.B.E

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

View Postskyfiery, on Aug 21 2008, 10:06 PM, said:

And hang a NO BIRDS ALLOWED!!! sign on the fruits. LOL.

*waves to Sonya* Hello. :)/>

Sky

i think put a sign with a bird being crossed out will be better..in case some birds cant read..see picture better..LOL

#5 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

I would suggest wrapping the fruit with newspaper and pluck them when almost orange in colour.

#6 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

Sonya - I would leave it on the tree for as long as possible. One of the greatest advantages of growing your own is that you can allow them to ripen on the tree. Tree-ripened fruits are, by far, much better tasting. The big difference between these and store-bought ones, especially highly perishable and easily damaged (once ripe) ones like papayas, is that they harvest when the fruits are still unripe and firm, as the whole distribution and handling cycle cannot accomodate ripened fruits. These are then artificially ripened through various means (ethene gas, I think) but to the detriment of taste.

Depending on your variety of papaya, and you may have to sacrifice a few to find out, they should generally be plucked when they are almost completely orange. Leaving them till they are completely orange may mean risking some parts already rotting. The funny thing about papayas is that the fruit does not ripen evenly. As for keeping away predators like birds, newspapers work quite well.

As an aside, green papayas are very useful as well. I believe there's a Thai salad that uses them, julienned. My helper dices them in large chunks and stews them, together to moringa leaves, in ikan-bilis soup. They taste like a firm version of winter melon.

#7 User is offline   keroleen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

I have my papaya tree in a pot at home too.

These days, one of my papaya tree leaves started to turn yellow and drop...soon going to be botak soon :(/>'

While the other it's leave have those yellow spots on the end of the leaves... what's the cause any idea?

#8 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

View Postkeroleen, on Aug 22 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

These days, one of my papaya tree leaves started to turn yellow and drop...soon going to be botak soon :(/> '

While the other it's leave have those yellow spots on the end of the leaves... what's the cause any idea?

I have a small seedling which started off well enough but I think the rains got to it and it is yellowing somewhat. Apparently, they don't like to be too wet - could this be the reason?

#9 User is offline   SonyaSz 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone - and hi Skyfiery (still working on the worms!) - have hung the NO BIRDS ALLOWED sign and will wrap in newspaper soon! Will have to be patient and wait for that beautiful rich orange colour - will keep you posted.

mm - any chance of more details on the ikan bilis soup recipe with green papaya as it sounds delicious! Great idea re Thai papaya salad too. Then can eat something (the first ever fruit harvested from our own papaya - after years of trying!!) while waiting patiently for the others to ripen

#10 User is offline   samonella 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

View Postkeroleen, on Aug 22 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

These days, one of my papaya tree leaves started to turn yellow and drop...soon going to be botak soon :(/>'

Hi

I am also interested to plant papaya in a pot in my house corridor. Is it advisable? how big is your pot?

Thanks

#11 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

HELP WANTED!!!

Hello to all experienced papaya growers...

I m trying to grow my own seedling. After many weeks, only 2 germinated. After 3 mths, they are only abt 10cm tall. I suspect that they are stunted. Maybe i will post pictures later on....

I don kw why they are not growing as fast... or is this normal?

I have done and read tons of research, including those laboratory notes prepared by professors... so i would say i know quite a bit on the theory..
But in practice, I not having much luck...

i even dug out a 30x30x30cm cube in the ground and replaced the soil when i transplanted the 7cm seedling from a small pot.

Can anyone advise me pls....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users