• 2 Pages +

Dragon's Tail Creeper Need Scientific Name

#1 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

Folks,

Was given this anti-cancer plant by my neighbour (and he is non other than our BMB Albert! :)/> ) the week before and would like to know the latin name. Any idea whatz the name? :)/>

Thanks!

HL

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hi HL,

The scientific name of this herb is Epipremnum pinnatum. Grows up into a big vine. Seen it climbing up rain trees!

Hope it helps. :)/>

Wilson

#3 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

View Postwilson, on Aug 17 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

Hi HL,

The scientific name of this herb is Epipremnum pinnatum. Grows up into a big vine. Seen it climbing up rain trees!

Hope it helps. :)/>

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Many thanks for the info! My friend's relative is having some health challenges and I'm getting these info for her to go through.:)/>

Thanks once again!

HL

#4 User is offline   siriuslim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

View PostHerb Lover, on Aug 18 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

Hi Wilson,

Many thanks for the info! My friend's relative is having some health challenges and I'm getting these info for her to go through.:)/>

Thanks once again!

HL

Had some experiences in preparing this plant.
Wash the leaves of the dragon tail plant and cook it in the pot of water. The "thickness" of the "medicine" will depends on the ration of leaves and water. i.e. more leaves less water = thick
Preferable using charcoal stove if not gas stove should suffice. Slow and steady heat to bring the water to a boil hence breaking down the leaves. Once the leaves are disintegrated, the "medicine" is ready. The end product is a green beverage which taste abit like Wheatgrass juice. Rock sugar can be added for taste...

#5 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

View Postsiriuslim, on Sep 2 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

Wash the leaves of the dragon tail plant and cook it in the pot of water. The "thickness" of the "medicine" will depends on the ration of leaves and water. i.e. more leaves less water = thick
Preferable using charcoal stove if not gas stove should suffice. Slow and steady heat to bring the water to a boil hence breaking down the leaves. Once the leaves are disintegrated, the "medicine" is ready. The end product is a green beverage which taste abit like Wheatgrass juice. Rock sugar can be added for taste...

Hi Sirius,

Wow! Didn't know supposed to cook til the entire leaf 'dissolved' into the broth. Thanks for the tip! :)/>

Cheers!

HL

#6 User is offline   siriuslim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

View PostHerb Lover, on Sep 2 2008, 06:17 PM, said:

Hi Sirius,

Wow! Didn't know supposed to cook til the entire leaf 'dissolved' into the broth. Thanks for the tip! :)/>

Cheers!

HL

You are welcome... Thats one way to ensure you get the full "goodness" of it... This is a very slow growing creeper, hence difficulties in getting the fresh leaves. I am trying to grow it at my mum's backyard and it is taking its own sweet time to grow.
Hope your friend's relative get well soon...

This post has been edited by siriuslim: 02 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

#7 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

View Postsiriuslim, on Sep 2 2008, 06:30 PM, said:

You are welcome... Thats one way to ensure you get the full "goodness" of it... This is a very slow growing creeper, hence difficulties in getting the fresh leaves. I am trying to grow it at my mum's backyard and it is taking its own sweet time to grow.
Hope your friend's relative get well soon...

Yup! A real slow creeper..but hey...good things don't come easy, they say! :P/> Some say that if you allow it to creep onto fruit trees, it will grow faster with bigger foliage. Might wanna try that out! :)/>

Thanks bro!

HL

#8 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

I don't recall this plant being a slow creeper.

Used to have 2 of these plants until we removed them last year. Ours were grown against the fence. My neighbour grew theirs against the brick wall. The plants grew so vigorously that we were always asking around if anybody wanted the large leaves.

#9 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

View PostWisteria, on Sep 2 2008, 08:15 PM, said:

I don't recall this plant being a slow creeper.

Used to have 2 of these plants until we removed them last year. Ours were grown against the fence. My neighbour grew theirs against the brick wall. The plants grew so vigorously that we were always asking around if anybody wanted the large leaves.

Strange leh....mine is real slow...started off with one leaf (thatz like almost 2 wks ago)...and now it is still with only one leaf! :P/>

HL

#10 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

Is yours a small plant? Are the leaves in juvenile form or mature form?

The mature leaf form of dragon-tail plant looks like this (left picture):
http://floraweb.nparks.gov.sg/search/keywo...remnum+pinnatum

You need to provide adequate support for this plant so that the aerial roots can cling tightly to the supporting structure (fence, wall, tree trunk etc). Only then can you expect rapid plant growth.

#11 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

View PostWisteria, on Sep 2 2008, 09:30 PM, said:

Is yours a small plant? Are the leaves in juvenile form or mature form?

The mature leaf form of dragon-tail plant looks like this (left picture):
http://floraweb.nparks.gov.sg/search/keywo...remnum+pinnatum

You need to provide adequate support for this plant so that the aerial roots can cling tightly to the supporting structure (fence, wall, tree trunk etc). Only then can you expect rapid plant growth.

Hmmm...I've tied that cutting (with arial roots) to the trunk of my jambu tree since day one leh...mature form coz itz a cutting from a mature plant. :)/>

HL

#12 User is offline   siriuslim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

same.. I had it planted on the trunk of my mum's mango tree. growth rate pretty slow because it was planted for almost 1 year now and its has grown maybe a couple of feet.. I reckon the lack of full sunlight that cause the slow growth as the foliage of mango tree is quite dense.
I noticed that those that grow in the wild is having full sunlight.

#13 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

HL, your cutting is barely one month old & I don't think it has grown many roots since you receive it. Be patient. Just make sure the spot on the jambu tree trunk (where you have tied the cutting) receives some direct sun. Otherwise, find another spot on the jambu tree trunk or choose another tree trunk.

sirius, does your plant have lots of clasping roots at present? Is your plant adhering tightly to the tree trunk? Try pulling the stem. If it is quite loose & you can remove it easily, maybe you should consider transferring it to another spot.

When the cutting gets established eventually, the stem will expand & there will be lots of clasping roots. The dragon-tail plant will adhere very tightly to the tree trunk/fence/wall, making subsequent removal from the support structure difficult. The leaves of our previous dragon-tail plants easily exceed 50cm in length.

#14 User is offline   BMB Albert 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Hello Neighbour,

Don't be sooo stresss lah!! - the creeper will soon be establish and it will grow. Should you need another plant call on me and you go cut another plant. This time plant it in a pot and put it in a bright shaded place until it is establish - look for a sunny area and plant your establish Dragon"s Tail creeper. OK!!! Solve you probelms ??? Good neighbour MUST TAKE CARE - WHY YOU KEEEP SOOO QUITE about the above probelms..

#15 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

View PostWisteria, on Sep 3 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

HL, your cutting is barely one month old & I don't think it has grown many roots since you receive it. Be patient. Just make sure the spot on the jambu tree trunk (where you have tied the cutting) receives some direct sun. Otherwise, find another spot on the jambu tree trunk or choose another tree trunk.

sirius, does your plant have lots of clasping roots at present? Is your plant adhering tightly to the tree trunk? Try pulling the stem. If it is quite loose & you can remove it easily, maybe you should consider transferring it to another spot.

When the cutting gets established eventually, the stem will expand & there will be lots of clasping roots. The dragon-tail plant will adhere very tightly to the tree trunk/fence/wall, making subsequent removal from the support structure difficult. The leaves of our previous dragon-tail plants easily exceed 50cm in length.

Yup...still status quo :P/> The spot is quite alright..more to diffused sunlight due to the canopy. :)/> Direct sun would be a bit tricky coz most of my trees are quite thick in terms of canopy so having direct sunlight at any of the bases would be a challenge. :)/>

Wowz...50cm is really long! :)/>

Thanks for the tip Wisteria! :)/>

HL

#16 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Found this website that has some old information on Epipremnum pinnatum :
http://www.ics.trieste.it/maps/MedicinalPl...ant.aspx?id=608

I discover we still have remnants of dried up stems of dragon tail plant wedged between our picket fence. The recent heavy rains have resulted in the growth of a new leaf on one stem. Finally manage to remove that 4cm thick stem from the picket fence. Will monitor if this 35cm long stem cutting likes its new home on the mango tree trunk.

#17 User is offline   siriuslim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

thanks for the info Wisteria.. will check on my plant this weekend... :)/>

#18 User is offline   Herb Lover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

View PostBMB Albert, on Sep 3 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

Hello Neighbour,

Don't be sooo stresss lah!! - the creeper will soon be establish and it will grow. Should you need another plant call on me and you go cut another plant. This time plant it in a pot and put it in a bright shaded place until it is establish - look for a sunny area and plant your establish Dragon"s Tail creeper. OK!!! Solve you probelms ??? Good neighbour MUST TAKE CARE - WHY YOU KEEEP SOOO QUITE about the above probelms..

No lah...paiseh mah.... :P/>

Just got another cutting from a friend and will be planted in a pot for the time being. :)/> Three of my fruit tree bases are reserved for my pepper cuttings and passion fruit seedling to climb....I prob will plant it with the other Dragon Tail when it is more established. :)/>

HL

#19 User is offline   mimosa 

• Pip

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

View Postsiriuslim, on Sep 2 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

Can you share how much of this can be taken and for how long? Thank you.

#20 User is offline   exotic n easy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:nature, tradition, theosophy, art, creation, design...

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

its definitely not epipremnum may either be monstera deliciosa, dun tink too likely oso, or philodendron biserratifolia. epipremnum members are highly toxic! neva use them in herbalism. the dragon tail vine leaves are also drunk once to twice a day for piles.

the full prescription is as follows:
-dragon tail vine leaf x 2
-blackbeans 10g
-red dates x5
cook as previuosly suggested by the previous bros and sisters.can be drunk cool or hot. Yin tonic, anti inflammatory, febrifuge
the ting should turn out like lo han guo cooling tea..

This post has been edited by exotic n easy: 27 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users