GCS Forum: Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps - GCS Forum

• 4 Pages +

Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps N. northiana, N. campanulata and N. merrilliana

#41 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

It shouldn't harm the hybrid just because of the alata parentage. Anyway, I think Betta Fantasy has most of his Neps in burnt earth or soil as he calls it. ;)/>

#42 User is offline   kiddyduck 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Orchids

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

What are those white stuff on the burnt earth?? Perlite or something else...

Those stuff look like root mealies!! :hysterical:/> :hysterical:/>

#43 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

View PostCindy, on Oct 9 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

It shouldn't harm the hybrid just because of the alata parentage. Anyway, I think Betta Fantasy has most of his Neps in burnt earth or soil as he calls it. ;)/>

ok time to get my hands dirty :rolleyes:/>

#44 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

View Postkiddyduck, on Oct 9 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

What are those white stuff on the burnt earth?? Perlite or something else...

Those stuff look like root mealies!! :hysterical:/> :hysterical:/>

they're mineral deposits

#45 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

View PostCindy, on Oct 9 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

Well, YES and....NO !

I either hang my pots or put them on the ground. The ones not hung up are fine. I got phobia for the hanging ones ever since my pole snapped and 20 pots of plants crash landed :ranting2:/> . I noticed all of u are using very small pots and most of u use shelves instead of hang up the pots with soil.

Which is why I am considering lighting the weight of soil or burnt earth by adding stuffs like cocopeat which also losens the media. But then it may defeat the purpose of using soil/burnt earth. To be frank in my case and conditions, my neps dont grow so well in burnt earth. The rain compacts the medium and i think the roots have diff spreading n I get small leaves. The plant may look very dainty(one campanulata is actually blooming). I like my plants bigger overall.

#46 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Betta,

That is why there is no ideal mix. I can use even the fine particles for burnt earth and there is no compacting in my growing conditions. Btw, your Neps HAVE to be big. Otherwise they become unnoticable in a large, outdoor garden. :lol:/>

#47 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on Oct 9 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

Which is why I am considering lighting the weight of soil or burnt earth by adding stuffs like cocopeat which also losens the media. But then it may defeat the purpose of using soil/burnt earth. To be frank in my case and conditions, my neps dont grow so well in burnt earth. The rain compacts the medium and i think the roots have diff spreading n I get small leaves. The plant may look very dainty(one campanulata is actually blooming). I like my plants bigger overall.

Hi betta

just sharing. I mixed coco chips, perlite etc with burnt earth for my northiana and it growing fine. I just assume that some wild nep grow in complex mix. And when i look at Robert T's thread of the wild N.northiana habitat, i was kindda reassured. I think its a good hint of what we can mix with burnt earth. I wanted to layer the different media but end up just mixing it and with LFS at the bottom.

This post has been edited by Bugman: 09 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

#48 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:59 AM

Frankly I ve tried endless permutation of mixes in various medium and ratios, using cocopeat, garden peat, local burnt soil, Indo burnt soil, unburnt indo soil, unburnt local soil, soil collected from(ok cannot say this one), LFS unchopped, LFS chopped, perlite, top soil, under soil, side soil....My own conclusion is it doesnt really matter what u use, Nep will grow in them altho I have to say the bigger plants of mine seem to be the ones grown in soil/clay mixes.. All it needs is something firm enuf for roots to hold on to and moisture, drainage....lots of humidity is key.

#49 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ok am reviving this thread, not bcos I have a pic to show...yet :hysterical:/> . Encouraged by the other thread on N Madagascarensis grown in IBE, I think we should continue to discuss in this direction, like anyone successfully grew a HLer like lowii in IBE ? and.....HOW TO LIGHTEN THE *CENSORED* IBE IN THE POT ? :ranting2:/>

#50 User is offline   Ifurita 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Well, its a bit early to say, but I'm growing lowii in IBE and its still alive so far.

#51 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling, Swimmming, Cooking, Eating, Growing Nepenthes and Tillandsias

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

Oh betta...... you ah..... hee hee...

N. lowii in IBE? in my opinion it should do well, PROVIDED u can give a bit of aircon and maybe a 10degreeC drop in temp 5 days of the week?

all of us here have different enviromental conditions in growing our neps. Some are more fortunate who can afford cooling all day, some of us just have strong winds, hot air, no sunlight, plently of sunlight, stale non-moving air and such.

But seriously.... IBE can be used as a potting media for quite a few neps.....

N. campanulata
N. madagascariensis
N. veillardii
N. maxima 'tentena'
N. 'Viking'
N. veitchii 'golden peristome'
N. khasiana
and many more.

Anyways, I hang all my IBE potted neps. no danger. Industrial STAINLESS STEEL frame. How to break? :hysterical:/>

#52 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

View PostLobsterX, on May 8 2009, 01:08 AM, said:

Oh betta...... you ah..... hee hee...

N. lowii in IBE? in my opinion it should do well, PROVIDED u can give a bit of aircon and maybe a 10degreeC drop in temp 5 days of the week?

all of us here have different enviromental conditions in growing our neps. Some are more fortunate who can afford cooling all day, some of us just have strong winds, hot air, no sunlight, plently of sunlight, stale non-moving air and such.

N. campanulata
N. madagascariensis
N. veillardii
N. maxima 'tentena'
N. 'Viking'
N. khasiana
and many more.

Anyways, I hang all my IBE potted neps. no danger. Industrial STAINLESS STEEL frame. How to break? :hysterical:/>

Industrial s/steel? :mellow:/> . Where is the nearest Daiso outlet around Ang Mo Kio, let me check it out this w/e. I am going to get a weighing scale to weigh every pot to maintain weight discipline before hanging them up before another armageddon happens in my garden(like airline's 7kg luggage limit :lol:/> ).

Anyway from now on, I am also gonna split my plants/basals into 2, one into IBE and another into Betta's proprietary mix :blush:/> .

Speak of soil hor, I worship soil man. The last time I ...errr hmm...took some soil samples back from Cameron Highlands and Genting Highlands(with permit one hor) and found that their texture and composition is very diff from nursery sold lauya soil. One plant I bot in CH still growing in its original potted soil, wah lau its buddy I repotted in lauya soil kissed goodbye :glare:/>

#53 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on May 8 2009, 08:22 AM, said:

I am going to get a weighing scale to weigh every pot to maintain weight discipline before hanging them up before another armageddon happens in my garden(like airline's 7kg luggage limit :lol:/> ).

:hysterical:/> I don't hang my neps but its the opposite, with the recent squall that's occurring more frequently, only those neps that are in IBE are not toppled by the wind. I actually add a layer of IBE on some of those neps in peat based media to increase thier weight.

#54 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling, Swimmming, Cooking, Eating, Growing Nepenthes and Tillandsias

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

either Plaza singapura or vivocity is nearest to you.
if not can travel, go IMM :closedeyes:/>

View PostBetta Fantasy, on May 8 2009, 08:22 AM, said:

Where is the nearest Daiso outlet around Ang Mo Kio, let me check it out this w/e.

#55 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

View PostLobsterX, on May 8 2009, 01:08 AM, said:

Hi LobsterX

Hope you don't mind sharing your observation of how your veitchii 'golden peristome' fair in IBE? Mine is in the usual peat based media and i wouldn't mind repotting it in IBE if it means a healthier growing plant.

Thanks

#56 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

I dunno. My latest ones are pithering but I did not take pics as the pitchers are still not mature snuff to worth taking.

I had one more mature. But it got stolen 6momths ago

View PostBugman, on May 8 2009, 03:39 PM, said:

Hi LobsterX

Hope you don't mind sharing your observation of how your veitchii 'golden peristome' fair in IBE? Mine is in the usual peat based media and i wouldn't mind repotting it in IBE if it means a healthier growing plant.

Thanks

#57 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

Anyone used local sticky sticky top soil or 'mixed soil'(ie top soil + local burnt soil) ?

#58 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on May 11 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

Anyone used local sticky sticky top soil or 'mixed soil'(ie top soil + local burnt soil) ?

Im trying to see if n.ventrata can survive in such clayey soil

#59 User is offline   lchsu 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on May 11 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

I'm growing your cutting of thorelli x truncata in local burnt earth + a bit of malaysian granular peat like material and it's doing great. Flowered and continuing to pitcher with every leaf....The other bit of cutting I potted in "normal" nep mix (perlite, IBE, cocochips etc) and it's not doing anything!

Also have your cutting of N ampullaria "Cantley red" in the same burnt earth mix and it's doing Ok - not pitchering that much but not dying either, and growing steadily.

This post has been edited by lchsu: 11 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

#60 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:04 AM

View Postlchsu, on May 11 2009, 10:33 PM, said:

I'm growing your cutting of thorelli x truncata in local burnt earth + a bit of malaysian granular peat like material and it's doing great. Flowered and continuing to pitcher with every leaf....The other bit of cutting I potted in "normal" nep mix (perlite, IBE, cocochips etc) and it's not doing anything!

Also have your cutting of N ampullaria "Cantley red" in the same burnt earth mix and it's doing Ok - not pitchering that much but not dying either, and growing steadily.

mmmm....I am coming over to have a look this weekend :notworthy:/>

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users