GCS Forum: Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps N. northiana, N. campanulata and N. merrilliana

#21 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Betta,
Nope, didn't sieve. Was lazy at first but later found that quite a lot of the dust drains out with top watering. I water every 1-2 days. I think maybe my place is not as hot as yours.
0

#22 User is offline   NoobPlant 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 860
  • Joined: 21-December 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:No particular interests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

yeash!!! My campanulata is inflating!! Muahaha!:D/>
0

#23 User is offline   hongrui 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1079
  • Joined: 24-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mandai, Singapore
  • Interests:Nepenthes spp, Droserae, Bulbophyllums, Dendrobiums

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:16 AM

View PostBugman, on Aug 12 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

Hi Cindy

I think Hongrui might be trying burnt earth for his viellardii as well


i did try out viellardii with burnt earth. but due to severe neglect, the plants died. :blush:/> i do not think that it is a negative reaction from being potted up in burnt earth as i did notice it growing before i left singapore.
0

#24 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

The following N. campanulata is doing well and pitchering at my balcony in LFS. Currently, the crazy weather is welcomed by this species...very bright one moment then followed by the rain. Not trying to contradict my own thread about the use of burnt earth but just want to highlight that N. campanulata is able to do well in LFS and perlite too when weather conditions are favourable.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/campanulata_lfs.jpg
0

#25 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1018
  • Joined: 25-July 07

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

compared to the campas in yr burnt earth, this one looks less attractive.

back to yr indo burnt soil, I ve 2 problems.

dry to fast - anyone tried mixing with say 50% cocopeat?

weight - pot of soil is heavy to hang. which is why i am also thinking of mixing cocopeat to reduce weight.
0

#26 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Betta, you are good! I was just waiting for someone to comment on that. Can you tell what is the difference? ^_^/>

Probably because I don't sieve it and use the powdery stuff as well. Pino actually mentioned that burnt earth compacts for him so for the latest repotting, I actually loosen it with some sand/perlite. I can water burnt earth every 2 days at my balcony.

I have not tried cocopeat. But I have northiana in LFS and burnt earth. Seems to work.
0

#27 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1018
  • Joined: 25-July 07

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

View PostCindy, on Aug 20 2008, 11:50 AM, said:

Betta, you are good! I was just waiting for someone to comment on that. Can you tell what is the difference? ^_^/>

Probably because I don't sieve it and use the powdery stuff as well. Pino actually mentioned that burnt earth compacts for him so for the latest repotting, I actually loosen it with some sand/perlite. I can water burnt earth every 2 days at my balcony.

I have not tried cocopeat. But I have northiana in LFS and burnt earth. Seems to work.

You mean the looks of 2 plannts diffrent? I think I know why but I cannot conclude yet. I am still observing the results from my own experimental plants of same species/clones grown differently. Some exhibit strong growth rate n pitcher easily and rapidly but leaves are longer vs pitcher. some are smaller leaved and plant is smaller overall but I also noted some produced relatively larger pitcher while some smaller. Still trying to pin point the factors for optimal growth habit and presentation.

I ve grown many species of orchids before and there seem to be some resemblances in behaviour. There is definitely some relationship between leave size, pitcher size n roots growth...all else equal. I observed similarity to some extent in nature as well, from wild plants in malaysian mountains. Plants growing in different substrate n places do not exhibit the same appearance in terms of pitcher n leaves.

If you are referring to growing medium, yeah the reason I asked is bcos I ve seen successes in various medium by different growers in Cameron Highlands. The difference in Sg is our weather gets too hot, so some of their success cannot be applied directly here. If u ve grown phalaenopsis orchids from Taiwan u will know what I meant. Even BE who uses pure cocopeat, bcos they grow in their HL nurseries up in the cloud forests.
0

#28 User is offline   Bugman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1655
  • Joined: 15-June 07

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

View Posthongrui, on Aug 16 2008, 04:16 AM, said:

i did try out viellardii with burnt earth. but due to severe neglect, the plants died. :blush:/> i do not think that it is a negative reaction from being potted up in burnt earth as i did notice it growing before i left singapore.


missed your post. U had two pots right? What a pity!!! Was looking forward to seeing how yours would fair in outdoor condition. Mine in bright shade (i hope that make sense)
0

#29 User is offline   Bugman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1655
  • Joined: 15-June 07

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on Aug 20 2008, 11:14 AM, said:

compared to the campas in yr burnt earth, this one looks less attractive.


hey Cindy? besides the difference in media, are both camps in the same growing area/ light/ watering condition?
0

#30 User is offline   lchsu 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 218
  • Joined: 02-August 08

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on Aug 20 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

You mean the looks of 2 plannts diffrent? I think I know why but I cannot conclude yet. I am still observing the results from my own experimental plants of same species/clones grown differently. Some exhibit strong growth rate n pitcher easily and rapidly but leaves are longer vs pitcher. some are smaller leaved and plant is smaller overall but I also noted some produced relatively larger pitcher while some smaller. Still trying to pin point the factors for optimal growth habit and presentation.

I ve grown many species of orchids before and there seem to be some resemblances in behaviour. There is definitely some relationship between leave size, pitcher size n roots growth...all else equal. I observed similarity to some extent in nature as well, from wild plants in malaysian mountains. Plants growing in different substrate n places do not exhibit the same appearance in terms of pitcher n leaves.

If you are referring to growing medium, yeah the reason I asked is bcos I ve seen successes in various medium by different growers in Cameron Highlands. The difference in Sg is our weather gets too hot, so some of their success cannot be applied directly here. If u ve grown phalaenopsis orchids from Taiwan u will know what I meant. Even BE who uses pure cocopeat, bcos they grow in their HL nurseries up in the cloud forests.

FH....now you so into pitchers ah? Should change your id already lah - pitcher fantasy or something like that :lol:/> One day must pop over to your place with a pair of snips :rolleyes:/>

Back on topic - noticed you guys saying you use Indo burnt earth. What's the big perceived difference? Can we use our local burnt earth instead?

Also mostly everyone talks about perlite, but can I substitute it with vermiculite?

Vermiculite and local burnt earth I have at home....Indo burnt earth and perlite I need to go and buy :)/>
0

#31 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1018
  • Joined: 25-July 07

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

View Postlchsu, on Aug 21 2008, 12:34 PM, said:

FH....now you so into pitchers ah? Should change your id already lah - pitcher fantasy or something like that :lol:/> One day must pop over to your place with a pair of snips :rolleyes:/>

Back on topic - noticed you guys saying you use Indo burnt earth. What's the big perceived difference? Can we use our local burnt earth instead?

Also mostly everyone talks about perlite, but can I substitute it with vermiculite?

Vermiculite and local burnt earth I have at home....Indo burnt earth and perlite I need to go and buy :)/>


halo, I first kept Neps about 15 years ago but gave them away when I sold my house. None of the blokes managed to keep the plants properly :closedeyes:/> . Lets just say now I am re-stocking :hitmyself:/> .

These days very good, alot of tissue cultured plants. No need to pay Mangkalah worker $10 to spend one day to find a wild cutting. errr...actually cannot say WILD anyhow here :hysterical:/>

OT: I just cut off 2 plants, the top shoots of Red Ampullaria 'cantley's red' and a thorelli x truncata(8 inch pitcher). No roots, just put in vase with water. If you want pls come n take, otherwise I want to use for praying to guan-yin-ma already.

This post has been edited by Betta Fantasy: 21 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

0

#32 User is offline   lchsu 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 218
  • Joined: 02-August 08

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on Aug 21 2008, 09:14 PM, said:

halo, I first kept Neps about 15 years ago but gave them away when I sold my house. None of the blokes managed to keep the plants properly :closedeyes:/> . Lets just say now I am re-stocking :hitmyself:/> .

These days very good, alot of tissue cultured plants. No need to pay Mangkalah worker $10 to spend one day to find a wild cutting. errr...actually cannot say WILD anyhow here :hysterical:/>

OT: I just cut off 2 plants, the top shoots of Red Ampullaria 'cantley's red' and a thorelli x truncata(8 inch pitcher). No roots, just put in vase with water. If you want pls come n take, otherwise I want to use for praying to guan-yin-ma already.

:greenthumb:/> Ok....can. I come on Sat. Still same place right?
0

#33 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

A month ago
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/campanulata1.jpg

Today
The plant on the left - 2 new leaves and flower stalk removed
The plant on the right - 2 new leaves and larger basal
The plant in the lower middle (not the same plant as above but planted in a week later) - a clear difference between leaves formed when grown in LFS/perlite and burnt earth
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/cpphotosz/3rdQ2008/campanulata_lfsvsbe.jpg

N. merrilliana - pitcher forming a few months after repotting into burnt earth
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/cpphotosz/3rdQ2008/merrilliana_pitcher.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/cpphotosz/3rdQ2008/merrilliana.jpg
0

#34 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

The new leaves formed are wider/rounder.

Leaf 4.5cm : Pitcher 3cm (excluding lid)
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/cpphotosz/3rdQ2008/campanulata_ratio.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/cpphotosz/3rdQ2008/campanulata_ratio1.jpg
0

#35 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1018
  • Joined: 25-July 07

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

I reckon in your case cindy, the watering regime n burnt soil is providing the correct moisture level that allows root to form, and hence the leaves grew.
0

#36 User is offline   Robert T 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 393
  • Joined: 25-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sarawak
  • Interests:culture,nature and photography.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

View PostBetta Fantasy, on Aug 20 2008, 10:14 AM, said:

compared to the campas in yr burnt earth, this one looks less attractive.

back to yr indo burnt soil, I ve 2 problems.

dry to fast - anyone tried mixing with say 50% cocopeat?

weight - pot of soil is heavy to hang. which is why i am also thinking of mixing cocopeat to reduce weight.


The top exposed media layer looked dry but try to investigate the inner part and it feels moist. The coarse burnt earth retained mosture. This was why northiana does well in this substrate-aerated, moist but not wet and not compact.

If the top layer look dry spray a small amount of water to it to comfort yourself :lol:/> .
0

#37 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

N. merrilliana

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/4thQ08/merrilliana_bteth.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/4thQ08/merrilliana_pitcher.jpg
0

#38 User is offline   Bugman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1655
  • Joined: 15-June 07

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

:notworthy:/> hi cindy

Do u have pics of N. merrilliana in burnt earth?
0

#39 User is offline   Cindy 

  • Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Posts: 5738
  • Joined: 17-January 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

OOPS!!

I edited my post. That is N. merrilliana in burnt earth. :P/>
0

#40 User is offline   Bugman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1655
  • Joined: 15-June 07

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Thks! advisable to try on N. merrilliana X alata ?
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users