GCS Forum: Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps - GCS Forum

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Burnt earth as media for very specific group of Neps N. northiana, N. campanulata and N. merrilliana

#1 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

A group of us started a year ago with the use of burnt earth (aka burnt clay or burnt soil) with some of our Neps. This media is used in general gardening to increase drainage.

Disclaimer: Before anyone of you proceed to pot all your Neps in soil, please remember that this is burnt earth and not garden soil (which is dark brown, full of fertilisers and possibly loaded with mealybug eggs). The Neps being potted in 100% burnt earth are rather specific so unless you have spare plants, don't risk potting your plants in it. ;)/>

N. northiana - arrived bareroot this June, now pitchering on the leaves which are produced here. Yep, three new leaves so far. ^_^/>
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/northiana-1.jpg

N. campanulata - arrived bareroot this June and July, adjusted to the media in about 2 weeks and started pitchering thereafter. :o/> There is a whole load of mineral/salt build-up for my plants even though I top water them. It is quite amazing to see how this group of Neps thrive in such media.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/campanulata.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/campanulata2.jpg

N. campanulata (the two larger plants) - were grown in sphagnum moss and large pieces of orchid media (similar to pumice) under the same conditions as the ones above. They were doing well for a while and when the weather turned warmer and drier, they started to turn yellow and stop pitchering. I decided to repot them into burnt earth yesterday.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/cpphotoz/3rdQ08/campanulata1.jpg

Root structure which I noticed while repotting
N. northiana in burnt earth - few roots, rather short, hard and wiry
N. campanulata in LFS/orchid media - root mass is quite large; it spread about twice as wide as the diameter of the plant itself; thin, fibrous

N. merrilliana - no photo to show yet but after two years of occasionally pitchering, I decided to pot it in burnt earth since another grower here has got good results. So far, the plant is coming back from the change in media and the newest leaves are more lush as compared to when it was growing in LFS/perlite.

#2 User is offline   sarracenia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants . NEPS!

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

Mine northiana died some thing ate it and it became 2 . I potted one camp in spagnum and one in burnt earth the burth earth one died . the other is pitchering !

#3 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hmmm....sarracenia, your burnt earth may not be the one I am using. I potted the N. campanulata I got from the latest order into burnt earth (Indonesian) and none of them croaked, except one which had a black growing tip to begin with. No special treatment, no bagging up. In fact, the largest of the lot is pitchering too.

Having said that, N. campanulata can do well in LFS and perlite. I have got my largest plant which flowered in that media. As well as a couple of others. But somehow they tend to be rather slow growing this season and flourish only during the cooler months. The ones in the burnt earth however, are all pitchering. So I decided to repot a few of them into burnt earth and see what happens. :P/>

#4 User is offline   sarracenia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

I got mine from world farm leh .

#5 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Then it is the same one. Well, perhaps N. campanulata does better for you in LFS than burnt earth in your conditions. :flowers:/>

Btw, what do you think chewed on your northiana?

#6 User is offline   ischan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Congratulations and much thanks to Cindy and Hong Rui for spreading the word on the miraculous burned earth. Look at what my northiana is doing now!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/ischan01/northiana.jpg

#7 User is offline   sarracenia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

ischan, on Aug 11 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

Congratulations and much thanks to Cindy and Hong Rui for spreading the word on the miraculous burned earth. Look at what my northiana is doing now!

WHAO SO NICE !

#8 User is offline   NoobPlant 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:No particular interests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

Nice!!!

Seems that only burnt earth or spaghnum perlite mix works for them. Read somewhere that peatmoss retards their growth

#9 User is offline   Don 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

Wah the plant looks so huge!

the plant has been with you for so long!

The pitcher looks good!

#10 User is offline   phoenix7 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

Cindy, your camp babies are so cute..now i'm beginning to see the allure of this species! :wub:/> now a bit regret not buying any.

i also would like to know..for merilliana doing well in burnt earth, does it apply to merilliana x alata too? the one i got from BE at sgf seems a bit 'lem beh'..all the other sgf neps are long repotted, unbagged & basking in the sun, but that one i'm still keeping inside a container as everytime i try to harden it by opening the lid, it goes a bit limp again. should i repot it to burnt earth?

#11 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hi Cindy

Perhaps u can add nepenthes vieillardii to the list of nep that can be grown in burnt earth. Can't really say it does well in it , but compare to the one (TC from SBG) i had which died in LFS+peat+perlite it is much better and about to pitcher.

I use the smallest or the powdery chunk burnt earth mixed with equal amount of peat for viellardii. Should be a very neutral mix.

Phoenix? I was also playing with the same idea as what u have mentioned, but will wait for a few more months to see how it goes perhaps.

Am thinking of trying nep chaiana in burnt earth coz it has never pitcher for me in the usual potting mix. Then again this hairy nep is a HL....

#12 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

ischan, on Aug 11 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

Hi Ischan

With burnt earth and mesh pot, how often u water your northiana?

#13 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

cindy, burnt soil may turn hard after a while, then you may have problem with drainage.... why not add in some sands?

#14 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the tip, Pino. I do notice that the media kinda "sink" after a while.

Bugman...
Yup, N. viellardii is possibly another species that grows well in such a media. Anyone tried? 'Cos I am not growing one.

Angel..
If the plant is "lem beh", maybe it is a problem with the roots and not the media, since BE has been growing their plants in cocochips all the while. Anyway, N. campanulata will soon be readily available. Hint hint... ;)/>

#15 User is offline   phoenix7 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

Cindy, on Aug 12 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip, Pino. I do notice that the media kinda "sink" after a while.

Bugman...
Yup, N. viellardii is possibly another species that grows well in such a media. Anyone tried? 'Cos I am not growing one.

Angel..
If the plant is "lem beh", maybe it is a problem with the roots and not the media, since BE has been growing their plants in cocochips all the while. Anyway, N. campanulata will soon be readily available. Hint hint... ;)/>

thanks, Cindy...i think this nep just a little bit 'princess' maybe also cuz the leaves are still so small & thin, dehydrate easily or something. i'll monitor & see how lor. campanulata avail soon? cool... ^_^/>

#16 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

phoenix7, on Aug 12 2008, 08:36 PM, said:

thanks, Cindy...i think this nep just a little bit 'princess' maybe also cuz the leaves are still so small & thin, dehydrate easily or something. i'll monitor & see how lor. campanulata avail soon? cool... ^_^/>

Hey phoenix

I have a different expereince with nep merrilliana x alata. I repotted it along with the cocopeat that came with it (i did not remove it as i did not wanna disturb the roots) into a bigger pot with cocohusk and peat perlite LFS and i have not bag it at all. Blacken pitcher cut off but is starting to pitcher already. I find that most BE neps are really hardy, so far i only bag northiana, campulata and vieillardii. (coz they in burnt earth media which tend to dry up fairly quickly) The rest of my BE neps like sibu x hamata, sanguniea, Rafflesina, cliptea x eymea, truncata are not bag up at all and have no problem even when my growing area is very windy.

I remember reading a fellow CPer who mentioned, treat it like a princess and it will behave like a princess ;)/>

#17 User is offline   Bugman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Cindy, on Aug 12 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

Bugman...

Angel..

Hi Cindy

I think Hongrui might be trying burnt earth for his viellardii as well

Btw what other nep specie share the same habitat or grow in close proximity of northiana or campanulata in the wild huh? Perhaps such nep specie might do well in burnt earth as well?

I so tempted to get another campanulata for my current which is in an oversize pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:/>

#18 User is offline   Lam_wn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi Cindy,
wow I'm really impressed at the results on the campanulata!
I was initially very skeptical about the burnt earth thing. But your campanulatas just made me change my mind! Were the ones in LFS really in such a dismal state in comparison?
my camps aren't pitchering well at all, and I've never had real good success with them, so I'm guessing there are some minerals in there which are really important to camps? (I didnt say northiana and merriliana because I didnt see any really outstanding differences in the pics you showed...yet!)
thanks

#19 User is offline   phoenix7 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Bugman, on Aug 12 2008, 08:56 PM, said:

Hey phoenix

I have a different expereince with nep merrilliana x alata. I repotted it along with the cocopeat that came with it (i did not remove it as i did not wanna disturb the roots) into a bigger pot with cocohusk and peat perlite LFS and i have not bag it at all. Blacken pitcher cut off but is starting to pitcher already. I find that most BE neps are really hardy, so far i only bag northiana, campulata and vieillardii. (coz they in burnt earth media which tend to dry up fairly quickly) The rest of my BE neps like sibu x hamata, sanguniea, Rafflesina, cliptea x eymea, truncata are not bag up at all and have no problem even when my growing area is very windy.

I remember reading a fellow CPer who mentioned, treat it like a princess and it will behave like a princess ;)/>

yeah, i agree that in general BE neps are really hardy. all the others that i got from them, during sgf & other times, pitcher really quickly & settle in very fast. perhaps it's just this specimen that has not so fantastic root system. it's not really that jialat, just lagging in comparism to the other 4 i bought at sgf. the bical x & truncata pasian already pitchered, & the maybe fuscas not far behind. i removed the cocopeat entirely from the roots of each, & repot to my own mix, there is always off chance that merilliana x alata roots haven't adapted totally yet.

#20 User is offline   Betta Fantasy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

did you sieve the soil to get rid of fine dust and use only larger garnules? I tried the burnt soil oncy dry too fast.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users