• 2 Pages +

Gerberas

#1 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi All

Gerberas - African Daisy are a welcome burst of colour for the balcony or garden. they are relatively easy to grow in containers when kept out of direct sunlight. Anyone here grows them? :grin:

Cheers
Sean

#2 Guestverdammt_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

I have 2 pots of gerbera. They seem to have stopped flowering after bringing them back from the florist. Looks like a bunch of vegetables now *yummy*
:hammer:

Kept them in the same conditions as AV. Any idea how frequently they flower?

#3 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

When you first bring it back home, its best to keep it in semi-shade to let it climatise to your growing conditions. Water it frequently if your growing conditions are hot and dry. Remember to wet the leaves to prevent spider-mites from taking hold of your plant. Feed your plant once a week with a liquid fert or once a month with a slow release fert. Slowly move the plant into a sunny spot to aid flowering.

Cheers
Sean

#4 Guestlolaababe_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

Is Gerbera an Annual? I bought one pot sometime ago. After the flower withered, the leaves start to look unhealthy and I moved it to an area which provides about 2 hours of morning sunlight...Eventually, it just died.

#5 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:46 PM

lolaababe said:

Is Gerbera an Annual?  I bought one pot sometime ago.  After the flower withered, the leaves start to look unhealthy and I moved it to an area which provides about 2 hours of morning sunlight...Eventually, it just died.

From my experience, Gerberas are not annuals. I have several pots that seem to flower year round and year after year with proper care. From what you have described, it seemed your Gerbera had spider mites. Gerberas are prone to spider mite attacks and when you buy, turn the leaves over to check for them. It can be infectious if they are grown near other plants. To avoid them, make sure your growing conditions are not dry. :grin:

Cheers
Sean

#6 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

yokogi said:

hi luckyboy,  how come my flowers suddenly bend over - both the matured one & half mature ones???  Do gerberras need ALOT of water?

Hi

From what you have described, it seems like your growing area may be alittle too windy for them. Gerberas do need a reasonably moist soil for them to grow well. I would also recommend that you mist the leaves once a day in the morning to prevent spider mites from taking hold of your plants. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Sean

#7 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

yokogi said:

also hor.......my gerberra start to smell like rot these few days leh.  however i still see new buds developing and growing taller.  even the water that leak out from bottom of the pot is also smelly and YELLOWISH  *argh*

can help me.........

lidat cannot help olredi lor... means probably need to throw plant before ur neighbers say got dead fish coming from your side.

#8 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:47 PM

yokogi said:

even the water that leak out from bottom of the pot is also smelly and YELLOWISH  *argh*

Sounds quite bad. May be something really rotting - did you overwater?

Time to repot - for gerberas grown here, it is best to pot it in a burnt earth-based media mixed with some organic material. Well-draining and not liable to cause rot in the plant.

wilson

#9 User is offline   LobsterX 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling, Swimmming, Cooking, Eating, Growing Nepenthes and Tillandsias

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:14 PM

Better repot!!!

Though i have no experince in this field, my instincts tell me u have to repot immediatly....

#10 User is offline   nleong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:30 PM

may i ask if gerbera requires strong sunlight to flower ? I saw IKEA selling last week, wanted to bring a pot back, but I don't have strong sunlight for them

Also, wilson, sorry i m new to garden. those burnt earth based media. can get from nursery ah....

#11 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

nleong said:

may i ask if gerbera requires strong sunlight to flower ?  

Also, wilson, sorry i m new to garden. those burnt earth based media. can get from nursery ah....

Hi Norman,

Yes. Gerbera is a sun loving plant - literally like to bake in the sun! But to prevent from wilting under the heat, put it in a shaded area but still need to have direct sunshine. Otherwise, the plant will not only be weak, hence being prone to rotting and pests and most importantly, it won't flower.

The burnt earth in nursery may sometimes be not suitable. It is best to mix in some organic material like peat moss to help loosen it. Burnt earth is a draininage material while the peat moss will help it from not caking too quickly.

Hope that helps.

Wilson

#12 User is offline   nleong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:48 PM

hm... maybe i should try with one pot.. water is not a problem...just afraid sunlight not enuff and it won't flower... my espicia keep giving new stolons but still no flower :(/> .... running out of pot to pot them....

thanks for the insight on the earth wilson....

#13 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

Yokogi, I would recommend you repot and change the potting medium. I'm afraid that your rootball could be rotting hence the foul smell. Change the potting medium to a 50/50 mixture of burnt soil and potting mix.

Nleong, gerberas are sun loving plants but gradually introduce it to direct sunlight over a few days by moving it closer to the lightsource. This is to prevent shock and also to climatise your plant to your growing conditions.

Cheers
Sean

#14 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:13 PM

yokogi said:

if i don't water it, it won't smell leh.  i didn't managed to repot it i went to melaka eat chendol & chicken rice ;p   now have to wait til sat again.  in the meantime i'll just water little bit daily loh.  the new buds are still growing up very fast leh - should be ok for another few days delay right?

It would be ok for a few more days but I would still recommend you leave it in direct sun but wait till the potting medium is dryer before commencing watering. :grin:

Cheers
Sean

#15 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:56 AM

dragon said:

I always want to know how to pronounce gerbera.

jer or gur - bear or bur -rah or rer?

Its pronounced as gur-bear-rer.

Cheers
Sean

#16 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:56 AM

yokogi said:

i repotted my gerberra on Sat.  the leaves never recovered from limpiness until this morning leh.......i left it in the shade cos just repotted ma, thinking it should "recover" from the shock?  But the plant look like dead plant now.

Hmm... did you disturb the root system? Otherwise the plant will not droop!

Keep the plant in the shade, and it may help to use a transparent plastic bag to bag the fella to conserve moisture. Shd help it to wake up a bit.

wilson

#17 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hmm... better hope it is not crown/root rot!

Overly wet compost can rot the roots and once the root system has rot away, the plant cannot drink and it goes droopy.

Gerberas are quite susceptible to root rot though.

Wilson

#18 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:54 PM

yokogi said:

Just got home.........i tink no chance liao.  It's time to buy another Gerberra!  Maybe pink color this time ;p

What happened to it? Crown rot?

#19 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:46 PM

yokogi said:

i dono leh.  i never investigated.

Since you are intending to dump it, why dun you pull the plant out of its pots and clear away the soil to see the roots?

Take a pic! :blink:/> Let's see what's wrong so we here do not repeat the mistake!

wilson

#20 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

Too late lah. That woman has dumped the plant already and is dreaming of owning a pink gerrbeara asap.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users