Page 1 of 1

Kaempferia pulchra

#1 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:37 AM

I recently bought some Kaempferia pulchra to grow.

Meanwhile I experienced some strange happenings to it - the leaves of the plant just went limp at their base! And the plants suddenly lose a large amount of leaves.

Is that phenomenon due to irregular watering? I was told that this plant doesn't take irregular waterings well.

Or is it just dying back and regrowing again? I do see some new growth in the plant.

Just also wondering, this plant is recommended for shade. But I wonder will it lose its peacock feather like patterns in the leaves if left in the shade? The new leaves of my plants lack the patterns, is that normal?

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:07 AM

One thing to note about these little gingers is that they can be prone to overwatering and bad soil.

#3 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

Oh yes... I cannot be sure of the overwatering part - I water once a day only.

But I do know its pot-bound. By the time I took the plants outta their pots, the plants are already squeezed to their max. But the potting mixture appears to be stale, appeared to be compacted form of some peaty material, definitely it doesnt look like burnt earth.

Thanks for the tip! :happy:

#4 Guestryan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

haha...good luck...anyways, the thing was like 5 dollars...haha :grin:

#5 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

Is this plant endemic to Southeast Asia?

#6 User is offline   the_dukun 

• Pip
  • Interests:Medicinal Plants

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

Wilson,

My two cents worth of word on Kaempferia pulchra. This plant is very commonly seen here in Langkawi in the wild. There are a number of varieties of this plant here. There are those that grow well in clay soil and flourishes well during the South-west monsoon period and dies back during the dry season here when the North-east monsoon blows. Another variety grows on limestone rocks they have a velvety appearence with less distinct markings and much less leaves

Your problem would be more of drying off and becoming dormant. If that is the case you will see the leaves wilting away and drying off. If it becomes rotten then you have over watered your plant. They need well drained soil and no waterlogging.

My collection of Kaempferias are just waking up from hibernation. I shall photograph them and post them on my webshots site and let you see them .
Prana - this plant is endemic in the northern part of the Malay Peninsula up to Isthmus of Kra. Further north there are other species of Kaempferias. I have noted that the velvety form of K.pulchra is seen on the Setul Formation which divide Malaysia from Thailand.

Regards,

The_Dukun

#7 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

Less dramatic than the lotuses, but still satisfying - a happy K. pulchra.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/mmlim/K_pulchra.jpg

#8 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Heres mine in bloom now:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/limxuanhong/Plants1/DSCN5813.jpg

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users