• 2 Pages +

Variegated Musa

#1 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

I happen to see AMK Nursery selling a couple of variegated Musa.

Anyone grows these? Sadly, I cannot grow them as I live in a HDB flat with limited space and light.

http://greenculturesg.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/normal_variegated_musa.jpg

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:32 AM

Sorry, I still don't like musas. (The kampung pontianak thing :blink:/> :blink:/> )

#3 Guestryan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

i thught the same too. Then started with a musa sumatrana (zebrina) at 12 dollars from ikea (by pioneer) and planted it in the ground...It has since died (is going to die from shock) but has incityed love for musas and No fear. I have not seen any pontianak around my house. And besides, im in the garden till very late sometimes to look at my plants...have a musa ornata now that rowing too large...haha...but must get hold of blue cavendish dwarf that fwen is going to pass me...v v v cute...just dont tie red strings on them and poke them.
anyway, i must admit that i was a lil paranoid about the spirit thing when i had my first banana. :grin:

#4 User is offline   HortVet 

• Flowering & Foliage Plants Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:all sorts of plants

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:00 PM

hey wilson, there are many variegated forms of the variegated banana. I always thot only 1 type. Mine, also from AMK, has less attractive variegation and the fruit was not that great, though it attracted a lot of squirrels and thrushes. The fruits are also variegated , if u didn't already know. More for cooking , not nice for plain eating. Mine was very anorexic looking, I guess not enuff Horti-Meal :hammer:
It needs lots of sun, which limits its culture in a flat, I think size wise it may do ok in a large tub- dunno...

#5 User is offline   orchideenjaeger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Laelinae, Curly Wurlies, Brachys, Phals and Bao Kah Liao

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

Juz wondering Gloria, have u ever tried using *erh hmm* stuff :notlooking: from your workplace to fertilise ur plants before?

#6 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:09 PM

if u talking abt 'waste products' from our 4-legged frens, i have plenty of them at home and they don't do much, believe me i have tried. Not from cats, prob too high urea. I don't keep a cow, otherwise that wld be ideal :grin: anywayz.... back to a white/green/yellow banana....

#7 User is offline   chanrit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tropical exotic plants

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

Variegated Banana are quite poppular amoung thai collectors. Beside from this remarkable variety, there are a few more variegated Banana varieties. This plant looks very similar to the popular variegated banana in USA or 'Ae Ae' but it's not. It was introduced to Thailand from Florida about 5-6 years ago. But I don't know what is its cultivar name or where was it originately from.

#8 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:51 AM

Welome to the forum Chanrit. AMK got his variegated bananas frm BKK, so the one I have at home is from there. The variegation is less compared to Ae Ae. I bought one AeAe from US a few years back, but didn't survive the journey. Do you know how much these bananas cost in your area? R U based in BKK ?

#9 Guestryan_*

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:31 PM

by the way..lil sidetracking....the variegated banana got burnt after the picture was taken...the white parts got fried!!! The pisang plant got goreng-ed (fried). :grin:

#10 User is offline   chanrit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:29 PM

Hi HortVet,

This white variegated Banana is not always available, you would not find this in the market. The price is depends on availability and depends on which collectors do you buy from. Yes I live in BKK.

#11 User is offline   chanrit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:03 AM

These 2 photos are examples for what variegated Banana that we have here in Thailand.

This is the wild banana with the yellow variegation.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/siamanthus/zingiberales/musa_yellowvariegated.jpg

And another one is variegated Namwah variety.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/siamanthus/zingiberales/musa_namwah_variegated.jpg

#12 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hmm, very nice variegation. Wonder whether we will soon see yellow polka dots musas. LOL

#13 Guestryan_*

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:09 AM

thats very pretty....they look very nice... :grin: love the striped variegation. :grin:

#14 Guestryan_*

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:31 PM

just thought i'd continue this thread with a picture of a variegated banana thats have a fairly well developed inflorescence. i took the picture before cutting away the flower and all the small fruits so that the plant can feed the miserable 2 hands left. this is because the mother is weak as she had been transplanted before.

nevertheless, i think fruiting inflorescences are all very pretty!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/ghundu88/plants/landscape/DSCN6269.jpg

#15 User is offline   joetheghost 

• PipPip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Hi wilson
I am new to this forum ,glad I found it. Can you tell me if AMK has a website and do they do mail order. I did a search for this nursery but could not get a reference to it. I live in uk and would like to get a variegated musa ,I had great difficulty finding a nursery when in S'pore two months agol
joetheghost

#16 User is offline   FireFly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

Joe, they still have it but not sure they do mail order. Their plant are at least 4ft tall.

#17 User is offline   joetheghost 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

View Postjoetheghost, on Jan 24 2008, 11:56 PM, said:

Hi wilson
I am new to this forum ,glad I found it. Can you tell me if AMK has a website and do they do mail order. I did a search for this nursery but could not get a reference to it. I live in uk and would like to get a variegated musa ,I had great difficulty finding a nursery when in S'pore two months agol
joetheghost

Hi Firefly
I don't know where AMK is,can you tell me their addess so I can look up to see if they have a website, I need to have the plant posted to me and see a pic of it.
Thanks Joe

#18 User is offline   joetheghost 

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

View PostFireFly, on Jan 25 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

Joe, they still have it but not sure they do mail order. Their plant are at least 4ft tall.

Hi Firefly
I have just asked you for their address a few moments ago but it seems that AMK is not a store but a district,is this so? I did a Google search and no stores were listed just the district that has the abbreviation AM K
Joe

#19 User is offline   hongrui 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Nepenthes spp, Droserae, Bulbophyllums, Dendrobiums

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Joe, AMK is an abbreviation for Ang Mo Kio district in Singapore.

the address you asked for:

Ang Mo Kio Floral And Landscape
15 Ang Mo Kio Central 2 569664

however, they do not have a webpage and i do not think they do mail orders.

#20 User is offline   eltonmarkjimenez 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I love collecting rare and exotic plants but I mostly love making hybrids out of them. I am interested in seeing what they will look like when they grow especially Anthuriums.<br /><br />I mostly sell my plants but I also like to trade them for specific plants that I think I dont have in volume or are not in my collection.<br /><br />

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Will try to upload more photos of the different variety of ornamental bananas later. The green one on the upper left is the Drawf Variety. Center is the Variegated Type and below that is the Red Variety. Hope you like it.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/eltonmarkjimenez/100_1388.jpg

This post has been edited by eltonmarkjimenez: 25 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users