• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plants and martial arts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

[quote name='legarleon' date='Sep 13 2008, 01:01 PM' post='148378']
To Uncle Dr Looi:

Here are my photo.

Please advise.

I like to test planting difficult plants.

T W FOONG

Your grapes need full sun and only one cane should grow upwards. You should prune off everything except for one cane growing upwards. When the cane reaches the required height cut off the growing shoot.

#62 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

To Dr LOOIHT:

This is my JUJUBE. Any way can test plant KIWI fruit?

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture088.jpg

THANKS

TW FOONG

#63 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

To All:

Site where KIWI is test planted in malaysia.
This is the Linb In Malay Language

TW FOONG

KIWI WEB SITE

#64 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 13 2008, 01:29 PM, said:

To Dr LOOIHT:

This is my JUJUBE. Any way can test plant KIWI fruit?

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture088.jpg

THANKS

TW FOONG

I tried planting Kiwi fruit before but gave up after a while. They are more difficult to plant than grapes. They die once the roots get wet. Another problem is that there are male and female plants. You must have at least one male plant otherwise fruits will not form.

#65 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 13 2008, 01:01 PM, said:

To Uncle Dr Looi:

Here are my photo.

Please advise.

T W FOONG

Looking at the leaves of your grape vine, it belongs to the Vitis Labrusca family. I think it is an Isabella.

#66 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 14 2008, 01:11 AM, said:

Looking at the leaves of your grape vine, it belongs to the Vitis Labrusca family. I think it is an Isabella.

To Dr Uncle LOOIHT:

According to my neighbor, It ripe when turn red and taste sweet, originated from his friend from Cameron, According to one Malay prof. the sourness of isabella very much due to cultivation.

According to Dr, this Isabella must be sour.

Thanks

TW FOONG

#67 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:29 AM

The Isabella is basically a wine grape. Wine grapes are more acidic than table grapes. The Isabella has a funny taste, not very nice for eating. If you prune during the dry season the grapes can be eaten although not that nice. I tasted some Isabella grapes from Korea in a supermarket some time ago. I was surprised that the grapes also had that unpleasant taste.

The Isabella grows and fruits easily in Malaysia. It will tolerate clayey soil and is also resistant to diseases. I have a few Isabella before but I have cut them all down except for one plant.

I had quite a few grape vines obtained from the Cameron Highlands before but all of them were sour. I have since thrown them all away.

So far I have experimented with more than 50 varieties of grapes from all over the World. Only a few varieties fruit easily and taste like grapes you buy from the market. The worst is a variety from France. The grapes tasted like the rear end of Hell.

This post has been edited by looiht: 15 September 2008 - 01:30 AM

#68 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Dr Looi:

Then must get 1 right plant from you.

TW FOONG

#69 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 15 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

Dr Looi:

Then must get 1 right plant from you.

TW FOONG

Trouble is that the better grapes do not seem to grow from cuttings. When I got them they were bud grafted onto Solonis x Othello rootstock. Only the sour grapes like Isabella, Brazilian, etc. will grow from cuttings. I can give you cuttings of these sour type grapes but I am sure that you do not want them.

#70 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 15 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

Trouble is that the better grapes do not seem to grow from cuttings. When I got them they were bud grafted onto Solonis x Othello rootstock. Only the sour grapes like Isabella, Brazilian, etc. will grow from cuttings. I can give you cuttings of these sour type grapes but I am sure that you do not want them.

To Dr Looi HT

sendayan grape farm

Site for grapes

TW FOONG

#71 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 13 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

To Uncle Dr Looi:

Here are my photo.

Please advise.

T W FOONG

Your grapes need full sun and only one cane should grow upwards. You should prune off everything except for one cane growing upwards. When the cane reaches the required height cut off the growing shoot.

Hello,

I recently bought a grape plant and it has 4 vines. Does it mean I should cut off the other three and leave one? What is the reason for this? Is it so that the plant can concentrate all the 'growing strength' into this one vine? I also would appreciate if you could help me with my following questions:

1. How much watering should I do?
2. How much and what sort of fertizlier should I use? Is grape a fertilizer loving or adverse plant?
3. I have currently moved the grape plant from it's small original Pot to a larger BaBa pot. Think it is the 3rd largest size. Can grapes be grown in pots and stay healthy?
4. As for the above, I used the standard mixed soil as the medium. Is this ok?
5. If I am going away for a couple of days (4 days) would I need to get someone to water the grape plant? Is it drought resistant?

Thanks so much for your help.

#72 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

View Postwmeng72, on Sep 23 2008, 10:56 PM, said:

Hello,

I recently bought a grape plant and it has 4 vines. Does it mean I should cut off the other three and leave one? What is the reason for this? Is it so that the plant can concentrate all the 'growing strength' into this one vine? I also would appreciate if you could help me with my following questions:

1. How much watering should I do?
2. How much and what sort of fertizlier should I use? Is grape a fertilizer loving or adverse plant?
3. I have currently moved the grape plant from it's small original Pot to a larger BaBa pot. Think it is the 3rd largest size. Can grapes be grown in pots and stay healthy?
4. As for the above, I used the standard mixed soil as the medium. Is this ok?
5. If I am going away for a couple of days (4 days) would I need to get someone to water the grape plant? Is it drought resistant?

Thanks so much for your help.

It all depends how big the plant is. Normally you cut off all the shoots except for one, the strongest one. This is to ensure that the vine grows upwards. When it reaches the desired height cut off the growing shoot to let it branch.

Grape vines do not need watering that often. Just water it every 2 to 3 days. Do not flood the vine when you are watering.
You can use any fertilizer. Organic fertilizer will be useful when the vine is small. After that you can use compound fertilizer.
You can grow grapes in pots. However you will not get many bunches of grapes. This will depend on the size of the pot. You should plant grapes in a mixture of 50% river sand and 50% compost. Grape vines will be unhealthy if the soil is too wet. Soil you buy in bags tend to retain too much moisture. A full grown grape vine do not need watering at all. If it is in a big pot it will need watering only once a week. More frequent watering will hurt the vine.

#73 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 24 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

It all depends how big the plant is. Normally you cut off all the shoots except for one, the strongest one. This is to ensure that the vine grows upwards. When it reaches the desired height cut off the growing shoot to let it branch.

Grape vines do not need watering that often. Just water it every 2 to 3 days. Do not flood the vine when you are watering.
You can use any fertilizer. Organic fertilizer will be useful when the vine is small. After that you can use compound fertilizer.
You can grow grapes in pots. However you will not get many bunches of grapes. This will depend on the size of the pot. You should plant grapes in a mixture of 50% river sand and 50% compost. Grape vines will be unhealthy if the soil is too wet. Soil you buy in bags tend to retain too much moisture. A full grown grape vine do not need watering at all. If it is in a big pot it will need watering only once a week. More frequent watering will hurt the vine.

Thanks Dr Looi, When you mention compound fertilizer, do you mean those artificial pellet kind (sorry for the ignorance). As for the soil that I used, do you suggest i dig up everything and repot again? I am not sure where to get river sand in singapore. what is an acceptable alternative and do you suggest i repot the entire plant? I really do not wish to as it is quite a big pot, but if there is no other choice I would.

Thanks again!

#74 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

View Postwmeng72, on Sep 24 2008, 08:45 AM, said:

Thanks Dr Looi, When you mention compound fertilizer, do you mean those artificial pellet kind (sorry for the ignorance). As for the soil that I used, do you suggest i dig up everything and repot again? I am not sure where to get river sand in singapore. what is an acceptable alternative and do you suggest i repot the entire plant? I really do not wish to as it is quite a big pot, but if there is no other choice I would.

Thanks again!

Compound fertilizer are those in pellet form. To get sand all you have to do is to dig up a bucket of soil and then wash it with water. After a few washing you will get plain sand.
I think it will be best to leave the plant as it is. Use the sand mixture the next time you repot the plant.

#75 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 24 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

Compound fertilizer are those in pellet form. To get sand all you have to do is to dig up a bucket of soil and then wash it with water. After a few washing you will get plain sand.
I think it will be best to leave the plant as it is. Use the sand mixture the next time you repot the plant.

Noted. Thank you very much!

#76 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

Dr Looi, would you be kind enough to identify my grapes? Are they both the same? And do they grow big sweet grapes?

They grow well inside my pond. The pot is one quarter submerged in the water. The soil is normal compost with a layer of gravel at the very bottom. I dare not fertilize because I don't know what it'll do to the fishes.

Thanks in advance!
Petunia

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/petunialee_photos/RIMG0037.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/petunialee_photos/RIMG0038.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/petunialee_photos/RIMG0039.jpg

#77 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

[quote name='petunialee' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:59 AM' post='151624']
Dr Looi, would you be kind enough to identify my grapes? Are they both the same? And do they grow big sweet grapes?

They grow well inside my pond. The pot is one quarter submerged in the water. The soil is normal compost with a layer of gravel at the very bottom. I dare not fertilize because I don't know what it'll do to the fishes.

Thanks in advance!
Petunia
Looking at the leaves I think they belong to the Vitis Labrusca (fox grape) family. Only Vitis Labrusca can survive with a certain amount of wet feet. Vitis Labrusca family like Isabella has a funny foxy taste. If they belong to the Vitis Vinifera family they will be dead long ago.
Most grapes sold in Malaysia belong to the Vitis Labrusca family as they are easy to grow and will tolerate clayey soil. Vitis Vinifera like White Malaga are a lot harder to grow.

#78 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Sep 26 2008, 07:59 AM, said:

Thanks in advance!
Petunia

Looking at the leaves I think they belong to the Vitis Labrusca (fox grape) family. Only Vitis Labrusca can survive with a certain amount of wet feet. Vitis Labrusca family like Isabella has a funny foxy taste. If they belong to the Vitis Vinifera family they will be dead long ago.
Most grapes sold in Malaysia belong to the Vitis Labrusca family as they are easy to grow and will tolerate clayey soil. Vitis Vinifera like White Malaga are a lot harder to grow.

#79 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 26 2008, 02:34 PM, said:

To All:

Anyone know the route to Sendayan Grape Farm, they seem to be planting sweet grapes for sales.

sendayan grape farm at Negeri sembilan

Thanks,

TW FOONG

#80 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 26 2008, 05:20 PM, said:

To All:

Anyone know the route to Sendayan Grape Farm, they seem to be planting sweet grapes for sales.

sendayan grape farm at Negeri sembilan

Thanks,

TW FOONG

The grapes at the site looks like the Isabella. Isabella grapes are round, dark red and does not ripen evenly. Isabella is the most common grape here as they are easy to grow. Cuttings will also root easily.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users