growing grapes

#41 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plants and martial arts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:43 PM

View Postshamrock, on Jun 7 2008, 06:29 AM, said:

how long does it take to reach you by courier, looiht? sorry i have so many questions ...

It takes only 3 to 4 days from Australia. After receiving the plants you have to be very careful with the plants. Plant them is a big plastic pot with a mixture of river sand and compost in equal proportions. Leave them in the shade, like under a tree for a few weeks and slowly move them into the sun.

I normally plant them under black plastic like the ones they use in orchid nurseries. I think the black plastic allows about 50% of sunlight trough. I normally get 100% success. In the past my plants only died when I transfer them to the ground. A heavy rain will normally kill them as plants from dry climates cannot tolerate "wet feet". You must plant them in raised mounds.

This post has been edited by looiht: 08 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

#42 User is offline   tortoise 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

View Postlooiht, on Jun 4 2008, 02:22 AM, said:

You must choose an European grape variety like White Malaga, Concord, etc. They are harder to grow as they will not tolerate clayey soil and need very good drainage but the fruits are sweet.

Interested to try growing grapes in Singapore. Wonder where can I buy the grapes' seeds or seedlings or fruits??

#43 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:59 PM

Do not grow grapes from seed. They take a very long time to fruit. Most will not bear fruit anyway. Even if they fruit the grapes are usually small and sour. I have experimented with lots of varieties. Grapes from Australia will not grow successfully here. Some will die while others will be the same size after many years. Some will grow but will not fruit.

The best grapes to grow are the ones grown commercially in Thailand. The ones from nurseries in Malaysia and Singapore are usually sour. Nurseries sometimes sell the grape plants from Thailand. You can recognize them by the grafting tape as they are usually bud grafted on Solonish rootstock.

There is a State Government grape plantation in Perlis, Malaysia. They grow the varieties grown commercially in Thailand. Someone told me that they bought grape cuttings from them.

#44 User is offline   tortoise 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

View Postlooiht, on Jul 2 2008, 11:59 PM, said:

There is a State Government grape plantation in Perlis, Malaysia. They grow the varieties grown commercially in Thailand. Someone told me that they bought grape cuttings from them.

Thks..so need to get someone to bring in the grape's cutting for me from M'sia...hm... :rolleyes:/> :rolleyes:/>

#45 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:13 AM

Most of the sweet type of grapes do not seem to grow from cuttings. Make sure that you get an established plant. I do not know how the Thais bud graft them. I can bud graft most plants but have not been successful grafting a grape plant. I tried making a bleeding cut below the graft but still have been unsuccessful.

I think there must also be a way to root cuttings from these hard-to-root varieties.

#46 User is offline   wmeng72 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hi,

I would like to grow some grapes over my pergola. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase grape plants in Singapore? Thanks alot.

#47 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:37 AM

View Poststeven, on Aug 26 2008, 01:27 AM, said:

Thank you looiht for all yr postings and pictures! i really enjoy reading them as i m a real fan of fruit trees/plants.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/IMG_0009.jpg

Steven, have a look at my new variety of grape. It is a very small plant but has lots of big bunches of grapes, as good as the ones in Australia. The grapes are sweet and taste like the ones you buy from the market.
On the left side of the picture is an apple tree while the tree on the right is a Ping Pong longan. The Ping Pong longan fruits the whole year round and bears lots of fruit. Trouble is I have to cover the fruits as everything especially flying foxes, squirrels, rats and birds all love the fruit.

This post has been edited by looiht: 26 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

#48 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />looiht, on Aug 26 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

Steven, have a look at my new variety of grape. It is a very small plant but has lots of big bunches of grapes, as good as the ones in Australia. The grapes are sweet and taste like the ones you buy from the market.
On the left side of the picture is an apple tree while the tree on the right is a Ping Pong longan. The Ping Pong longan fruits the whole year round and bears lots of fruit. Trouble is I have to cover the fruits as everything especially flying foxes, squirrels, rats and birds all love the fruit.

hi looiht, the grapes look wonderful! what variety is this and where did you get the plant from?

#49 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

View Postlooiht, on Aug 26 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

I am really amazed at your garden. So many different kinds of fruits! It is like the garden of Eden to me... :P/>

One question though.. How different is this kind of eating grapes from the Cabernet Savignon, Merlot, Syrah or Pinot Noir types used for wines?

#50 User is offline   mok chun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

View Posttualiap, on May 14 2005, 10:08 PM, said:

grapes can grow here, right? anyone succeeded?

yes , i grow Grape before , chop away Liao . quite difficult to maintain , also fruit b4 , very nice
fruit sour n small

#51 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

Well, Steven and Shamrock, the grape is I think an experimental grape, a cross between 2 varieties. When I got it, it has a label marked S140. I got this from a friend who works for the United Nations in Thailand. My friend got it from a University in Thailand. This particular University is experimenting with grape plants.

This particular grape is red in colour when ripe and the berry is quite big. The fruit is about one inch in length, roughly double the size of the Isabella. The grapes shown in the photo are still very small. I took the photo before I cover them up with a plastic bag, open at the bottom. If you do not cover them they will get berry rot when it rains and the fruit will get soft and not ripen properly.

Another problem with this variety is that it will not grow from cuttings. When I got it, it was bud grafted onto a Solonis X Othella rootstock.

Wine grapes are not very good for eating as they have a funny taste. The Isabella is a wine grape. A lot of vine grapes will not grow successfully in the humid tropics like Malaysia and Singapore. In the past I have tried to grow them without much success.

This post has been edited by looiht: 26 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

#52 User is offline   steven 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

View Postlooiht, on Aug 26 2008, 08:42 PM, said:

Well, Steven and Shamrock, the grape is I think an experimental grape, a cross between 2 varieties. When I got it, it has a label marked S140. I got this from a friend who works for the United Nations in Thailand. My friend got it from a University in Thailand. This particular University is experimenting with grape plants.

This particular grape is red in colour when ripe and the berry is quite big. The fruit is about one inch in length, roughly double the size of the Isabella. The grapes shown in the photo are still very small. I took the photo before I cover them up with a plastic bag, open at the bottom. If you do not cover them they will get berry rot when it rains and the fruit will get soft and not ripen properly.

Another problem with this variety is that it will not grow from cuttings. When I got it, it was bud grafted onto a Solonis X Othella rootstock.

Wine grapes are not very good for eating as they have a funny taste. The Isabella is a wine grape. A lot of vine grapes will not grow successfully in the humid tropics like Malaysia and Singapore. In the past I have tried to grow them without much success.

Thank you, looiht for you insightful sharing. I look forward to yuor future postings + photos... :)/>

#53 User is offline   Green Baron 

• Advance Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

How did I miss this thread ?

Loohit,
That is an amazing orchard ! I am from Penang too and still have a house there. Where in Penang do you live ?
I will be going to Penang in Nov for a conference and will try to pay you a visit.. if I have luggage space I will try to bring back a few plants for GCS members.

#54 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:30 AM

View PostGreen Baron, on Aug 26 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Loohit,
That is an amazing orchard ! I am from Penang too and still have a house there. Where in Penang do you live ?
I will be going to Penang in Nov for a conference and will try to pay you a visit.. if I have luggage space I will try to bring back a few plants for GCS members.

I live in Jalan Gajah, Tanjong Bungah. You cannot miss my house as the front boundary wall is covered with a few grape vines. You will also see lots of grapes on them.

This post has been edited by looiht: 27 August 2008 - 02:35 AM

#55 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:33 AM

View PostGreen Baron, on Aug 26 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Loohit,

Go to my site at
http://vbuster.net
You will get all my particulars there.

Not easy getting to where I am now. Lots of failures like dead plants or plants that will not fruit and lots of money.
I just obtained two Rose Myrtle plants. The berries are just average for eating. There are usually used for making jam.

#56 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:28 AM

To Uncle Dr Looiht:

How are you, I just planted grapes, but dun know what species.

planted 1 jujube, worm started to come in, how to remove white flys:

planted 3 Japanese melon, started to bear fruits.

try to plant strawberry, but failed.

tw foong

#57 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:33 AM

View Postlegarleon, on Sep 7 2008, 12:28 AM, said:

To Uncle Dr Looiht:

How are you, I just planted grapes, but dun know what species.

planted 1 jujube, worm started to come in, how to remove white flys:

planted 3 Japanese melon, started to bear fruits.

try to plant strawberry, but failed.

tw foong

Dear Mr. Foong,

Most of the grapes plants sold in Malaysia and Singapore belong to the group called Vitis Labrusca. You can identify it by the leaves. Vitis Labrusca are easy to grow, roots easily and will tolerate clayey soil. Vitis Vinifera like White Malaga are harder to grow. I have not come across any nursery selling Vitis Vinifera plants. I obtained mine from Thailand.

For the jujube you must cover the fruits with netting or newspaper. Fruit flies love them.

Only certain varieties of strawberries will grow here. You must keep the roots wet. I grew lots of strawberries before but gave up as it involved too much work. You have to keep planting the runners as the mother plant dies after a while. You will also have to keep the runners in the fridge for about 10 days before planting, otherwise they will not fruit.

#58 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

View Postlooiht, on Sep 7 2008, 02:33 AM, said:

Dear Mr. Foong,

Most of the grapes plants sold in Malaysia and Singapore belong to the group called Vitis Labrusca. You can identify it by the leaves. Vitis Labrusca are easy to grow, roots easily and will tolerate clayey soil. Vitis Vinifera like White Malaga are harder to grow. I have not come across any nursery selling Vitis Vinifera plants. I obtained mine from Thailand.

For the jujube you must cover the fruits with netting or newspaper. Fruit flies love them.

Only certain varieties of strawberries will grow here. You must keep the roots wet. I grew lots of strawberries before but gave up as it involved too much work. You have to keep planting the runners as the mother plant dies after a while. You will also have to keep the runners in the fridge for about 10 days before planting, otherwise they will not fruit.

Dear Uncle Dr Looi H T:

Thanks for your advice, I will attached my jujube, pipong longan, dragon fruit, japanese melon, grapes, lojing highland japanese melon seedling for your advise.

Thank you.

TW FOONG

#59 User is offline   looiht 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Have a look at my Rome Beauty apple. The apples are still small and are still not ripe yet. They are a lot bigger and are red when they are ripe. They are sweet and taste exactly like the ones you buy from the market.

My Rome Beauty Apple
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/RomeB02.jpg

Another View of my Rome Beauty Apple
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/RomeB03.jpg

The Flower of my Rome Beauty Apple
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/looiht/RomeB05.jpg

This post has been edited by looiht: 13 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

#60 User is offline   legarleon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

To Uncle Dr Looi:

Here are my photo.

Please advise.

I like to test planting difficult plants.

T W FOONG

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture086.jpg

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture085.jpg

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture083.jpg

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/legarleon/plants/Picture082.jpg

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users