GCS Forum: How to get rid of ANTS? - GCS Forum

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

How to get rid of ANTS?

#21 User is offline   AlFussi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plants, boating, fishing, working, furniture restoring, computer, working, cooking, baking, carnivorous plants, herbs, first-aid, investing, semi-prescious stones and many many more subjects

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:02 AM

Sorry, posting went through "twice" ... one issue deleted to "keep it shorter" :)/>

This post has been edited by AlFussi: 01 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

#22 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

If the ants in your pots have never experienced ant bait, then go NTUC and buy the small packet of ant bait pellets (not the plastic cake).

Put some around the pot and they will disappear in a week. Or go for Combat Gel from Homefix and put some near the nest. However these will becomes less effective as the generation grews more experience and learn to avoid them as I observed.

This is a technique when you face experience ants.
----------------------------------------------------------
Another method which require more attention is to use lure and destroy to reduce their number. Before sleeping, pour strong sugar solution a distant away couple inches in area either floor or wall (where it seeps). Some ants will swam in next morning and you spray the ant and ants along their trail with waterbase baygon (bec its short lasting) and wash off the sugar solution.
Repeat daily and soon (about 3-4 days) you will see swam gets larger and bigger type of class ants appearing which is a sign their numbers are depleting.

Next close to the possible source of ant, use ant bait. They will be force to take food in closer proximity as the build up the number fast.

View PostNeverend, on Jun 15 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

I can't stand those tiny creatures anymore! After my orchids, now they've come to build a nest deep inside my pot of mint, and I don't know what safe methods I can use to kill them. Any suggestions?

#23 User is offline   bliss 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

View Postmaggie, on Jun 30 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

hi bliss
today went kovan and ask around for you...got this nursery selling golden colour neem oil at $6. sorry nv chk name but it is on right hand side of the very wide paved walkway leading to the main road. you aga aga know which one?

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for help! :)/>
paiseh, hv been busy these few days and miss your thread.
Luckily hven't got time to go AMK, will look out for it at kovan tomorrow.

#24 User is offline   bliss 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

View PostWK_Tan, on Jun 30 2008, 11:42 PM, said:

Was at AMK nursery this evening. They have both the $23+ and the $8.90 neem oil. According to the lady there, the difference is the grade. From the way she describe it, sound a bit like olive oil... the best being the extra virgin, and so on. $23+ is probably the equivalent of the extra virgin olive oil.

I bought the cheaper version :P/>

Well, I think the most important factor is whether it is effective...if effective, low grade even better..save money..
Can update us the effectness of the neem oil u bought. :D/>

#25 User is offline   bliss 

• PipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

View Postbliss, on Jul 4 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for help! :)/>
paiseh, hv been busy these few days and miss your thread.
Luckily hven't got time to go AMK, will look out for it at kovan tomorrow.

Hi Maggie,
Thanks for your good lobang, hv got the neem oil already :D/>

#26 User is offline   bliss 

• PipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

View PostMiki, on Jun 15 2008, 09:32 PM, said:

To 1 litre of water, mix 5ml detergent and 5-10 ml Neem oil. Shake vigorously and use in spray bottles.

Hi Miki,
May I know what detergent you use?
Can use dish washing liquid??
MTIA!

#27 User is offline   maggie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:29 AM

View Postbliss, on Jul 6 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

Hi Miki,
MTIA!

may i know if dun spray, can i pour directly into the soil like watering plants? would the neem detergent solution kill my plant...it is my one and only rose so very precious to me la....but got ants la and maybe bringing other pests in too...so sian....

hi bliss, glad to be of help...keep us posted on the use of your neem la...

#28 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:growing edibles, fragrant, flowering plants/ herbs

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

View Postmaggie, on Jul 7 2008, 01:29 AM, said:

may i know if dun spray, can i pour directly into the soil like watering plants? would the neem detergent solution kill my plant...it is my one and only rose so very precious to me la....but got ants la and maybe bringing other pests in too...so sian....

Yes, the answer to that will be very helpful. The ants are everywhere in my garden! In the compost heap, in the bougainvillea plants, seedlings. Wondering if i can pour the neem + detergent in the plants so that the ants in the plants will die.

Will ants in my compost heap affect the effectiveness of the compost?

#29 User is offline   Miki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

View Postbliss, on Jul 6 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

Hi Miki,
MTIA!

I just use whatever detergent is avaliable in my kitchen, the usual dish washing kind, nothing special.

I have poured the left over Neem & detergent mix into my catt pots, and it seem to keep the ants away and not harm the orchid.

Here is a quote from my Neem brochure:
"The active ingredient of neem oil include a group of seven constituents similar to, and including the compound, azadirachtin. This compound has been shown to be a systemic feeding deterrent for insects. Azadirachtin does not kill pests but it breaks the life cycle and deters feeding, hatching, ecdysis (moulting) or any combination of these processes. Neem is effective in the control of fruit flys, leaf eating insects such as aphids, thrips, leaf miners, snails, nematodes, grasshoppers and fungal conditions such as powdery mildew, black spots, rust....

Neem oil has a garlic like odour and an extremely bitter taste, The bitter flavour can make many insect stop feeding on the host plant. Neem oil can also suffocate mites, whiteflys, aphids and other types of soft bodied insects on contact."

From my own experience, Neem has got rid of the ants, mites and snails.

I hope that helps.
Miki :)/>

#30 User is offline   maggie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

View PostMiki, on Jul 9 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

Here is a quote from my Neem brochure:
"The active ingredient of neem oil include a group of seven constituents similar to, and including the compound, azadirachtin. This compound has been shown to be a systemic feeding deterrent for insects. Azadirachtin does not kill pests but it breaks the life cycle and deters feeding, hatching, ecdysis (moulting) or any combination of these processes. Neem is effective in the control of fruit flys, leaf eating insects such as aphids, thrips, leaf miners, snails, nematodes, grasshoppers and fungal conditions such as powdery mildew, black spots, rust....
Neem oil has a garlic like odour and an extremely bitter taste, The bitter flavour can make many insect stop feeding on the host plant. Neem oil can also suffocate mites, whiteflys, aphids and other types of soft bodied insects on contact."

hwah...sounds better than confidor. me going to get a bottle too tmr...and effectively water all my plants with it...prevention better than cure. er...but if plant is healthy, using neem solution on it no problem right? oh...wait a minute...if got detergent and pour into soil and absorbed by plant = dead plant :wacko:/> :wacko:/> pls advise...

#31 User is offline   Miki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

View Postmaggie, on Jul 9 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

hwah...sounds better than confidor. me going to get a bottle too tmr...and effectively water all my plants with it...prevention better than cure. er...but if plant is healthy, using neem solution on it no problem right? oh...wait a minute...if got detergent and pour into soil and absorbed by plant = dead plant :wacko:/> :wacko:/> pls advise...

The amount of detergent in this mix is so small that I don't think it will kill your plant (my orchids are still alive). In fact detergent is used in gardening to break up surface tension in sandy soils, as to promote better water retention.

The detergent in this Neem mix is for breaking down the oil, without it water and oil will not mix. The detergent acts as a 'emulsifier' (an agent which allows water to mix with oil).

I am by no means an expert on this topic, other members may want to join in on the discussion.

Cheers,
Miki

#32 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

View PostMiki, on Jul 9 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

The amount of detergent in this mix is so small that I don't think it will kill your plant (my orchids are still alive). In fact detergent is used in gardening to break up surface tension in sandy soils, as to promote better water retention.

The detergent in this Neem mix is for breaking down the oil, without it water and oil will not mix. The detergent acts as a 'emulsifier' (an agent which allows water to mix with oil).

I am by no means an expert on this topic, other members may want to join in on the discussion.

Cheers,
Miki

That is very informative! Can i ask if the neem oil and detergent mixture can be used for edible plants?

#33 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

View PostMiki, on Jul 9 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

Cheers,
Miki

That is very informative! Can i ask if the neem oil and detergent mixture can be used for edible plants?

#34 User is offline   Miki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

View PostFaeryberry, on Jul 10 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

Hi Faerberry,
Here is the answer I got from my supplier in regard to the use of Neem Oil on edible plants and how long before it is safe for human consumption:

'I would say immediately, except for the fact that neem oil has a bitter taste. The unique thing about neem oil is that it is deadly to insects but completely harmless to mammals and humans. So I would suggest that you could use the vegetables immediately but just wash them first. After a few days, neem oil breaks down anyway and so you would not need to wash them then. Hope this makes sense. Check out in my store, I have some garden spray concentrate which has been already emulsified with Natrasoap (an insecticidal soap approved by the Biological Farmers Association) and is ready to use - just add water!'

Please check again with your Neem Oil supplier for application and saftey instructions.

The Neem Oil from this supplier is 'cold pressed'- not chemically extracted, so I assume it is quite pure.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Miki ^_^/>

#35 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hi Miki! Thanks so much for your kind help! It is a relief to know that it is harmless to humans and usable for edible plants.

Before i read this message, i bought a bottle of neem oil from the Neem shop for a hefty cost of $36, and it seems like it doesn't help much. After following their instructions (which is v much what you say) i pour or spray it to the afflicted plants and over the ground and the holes where the ants reside. Next day, the ants came back again, so i repeated that again to no avail. I might be interested in getting the garden spray you are talking about. How much will that costs?

Can i check with people in this forum who bought the neem oil, was it useful?

View PostMiki, on Jul 21 2008, 08:05 PM, said:

Hi Faerberry,
Here is the answer I got from my supplier in regard to the use of Neem Oil on edible plants and how long before it is safe for human consumption:

'I would say immediately, except for the fact that neem oil has a bitter taste. The unique thing about neem oil is that it is deadly to insects but completely harmless to mammals and humans. So I would suggest that you could use the vegetables immediately but just wash them first. After a few days, neem oil breaks down anyway and so you would not need to wash them then. Hope this makes sense. Check out in my store, I have some garden spray concentrate which has been already emulsified with Natrasoap (an insecticidal soap approved by the Biological Farmers Association) and is ready to use - just add water!'

Please check again with your Neem Oil supplier for application and saftey instructions.

The Neem Oil from this supplier is 'cold pressed'- not chemically extracted, so I assume it is quite pure.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Miki ^_^/>

This post has been edited by Faeryberry: 01 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

#36 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi, I got rid of ants in all my pots by sprinkling instant coffee on the soil top. A thin layer like icing sugar on a bun. My plants like the nitrogen in the coffee and my roses do well because coffee acidifies the soil. It was quite fun to experiment with the coffee. I have a long planter pot with basil, and I noted the start of a nest. After Day 1, the ants walked about like old people. On Day 2, they looked drunk and on Day 3, they had disappeared.

In another pot of petunias, there were ants but I didn't think there was a nest. I sprinkled once and the next day, after some rain in the night that washed the coffee into the soil, I noted a long ant trail with ants carrying baby ants moving house into my rolled up bamboo chicks! They don't like coffee and so decided to find nicer accommodation!

Anyway, for fast results, I immersed my whole pot of petunias into a pail for 1 hour. All the ants died and floated to the water surface. Now the petunias look so happy.

#37 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm definitely going to try that on my more acidic loving plants.
after your great advice, i went to google more on how to prevent ants. http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/ants....home/gardening this is another good link.

#38 User is offline   petunialee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

View PostFaeryberry, on Sep 2 2008, 06:51 PM, said:

I'm definitely going to try that on my more acidic loving plants.
after your great advice, i went to google more on how to prevent ants. http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/ants....home/gardening this is another good link.

Thanks for the link! It says baking soda is poisonous to ants. I think shall try baking soda next!

#39 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

View Postpetunialee, on Sep 2 2008, 07:01 PM, said:

Thanks for the link! It says baking soda is poisonous to ants. I think shall try baking soda next!

Look out when you're using baking soda though, it alkalifies the soil.

#40 User is offline   Miki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

View PostFaeryberry, on Aug 1 2008, 11:44 AM, said:

Hi Miki! Thanks so much for your kind help! It is a relief to know that it is harmless to humans and usable for edible plants.

Before i read this message, i bought a bottle of neem oil from the Neem shop for a hefty cost of $36, and it seems like it doesn't help much. After following their instructions (which is v much what you say) i pour or spray it to the afflicted plants and over the ground and the holes where the ants reside. Next day, the ants came back again, so i repeated that again to no avail. I might be interested in getting the garden spray you are talking about. How much will that costs?

Can i check with people in this forum who bought the neem oil, was it useful?

I think we have to clarify here. Neem kills ants on instant contact (ie an insecticide), I have seen it with my own eyes, but I am not sure if it is a preventive spray because it is bio- degradable.

For the paved area in my garden, where the ants dig holes and make their nest, I use Ant Powder.

Even with Ant Powder treatment needs to be repeated bi-monthly... darn ants.

My line of attack: Neem for plants in pots. Ant Powder for other areas with no plants (like ant nests in paving and soil) because I agree with Neverend, chemical powders may effect your plants health.

BTW what is the volume of your bottle of Neem? I paid AUD $30 for a 500ml bottle (very good stuff). The ready mix garden spray is just Neem mix with detergent, it is only slightly more expensive AUD $32.

Cheers!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users