• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

Picture of my red torch ginger.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2569737887_0b59ee51c9.jpg

My white torch ginger opening.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2570564694_ce000243ef.jpg

The plant of white torch ginger which i planted last year. This is the first flowering:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2207/2569737829_67c5946924.jpg

Fully opened:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2569737687_f4e50e978c.jpg

#2 User is offline   PLANTER11 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

Wow! Looks like lotus! How did you manage to prevent them from taking over the garden?

#3 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

A very nice plants just that it grow too big for a pot.

#4 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

wow, white colour, that is really rare. most of the time we can only see the pink & the red one.
congrat.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2569737687_f4e50e978c.jpg
[/quote]

View PostKingfisher, on Jun 11 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

A very nice plants just that it grow too big for a pot.

they need sun if i am not mistaken.

#5 User is offline   balistyle 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

I think they need shade. I had seen the red TG growing under the trees canopy in the rubber tree plantation in Malaysia. But no sure about the white TG though. :mellow:/> Hey... that is an article on TG in our forum... haha...Cheers :D/>

#6 User is offline   Uppthomson 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

View PostPLANTER11, on Jun 11 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

Wow! Looks like lotus! How did you manage to prevent them from taking over the garden?

I planted the red torch in my backyard about 4 years back and i dug out the old portions last year. I kept a group of about 10 fresh stalks undisturbed and discarded the rest. It is fast work if you use a changko. The undisturbed stalks continue producing flowers. In fact there are about 4 flower stalks now. As for the white torch, it was bought and planted last year in front of the house so i am monitoring the spread. I realised from the red torch that once they start flowering they don't stop so i think i must first build up the size, then cut back. Must cut back or else they WILL take over.

:)/>

#7 User is offline   sweethalo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Begonia, Bromeliads, Orchids - Bulbos & Phals, Heliconia, Plumeria

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hey UppThomson... that's wht I find too... I have them planted in the backyard and I need to cut back soon... but am afraid to kill the plant if I do... so do u mean just changkol from where u don't want them to be and cut straight into the rhizome?

Thanks

sweethalo

#8 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

btw, how long can the flowers last?

#9 User is offline   sweethalo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Begonia, Bromeliads, Orchids - Bulbos & Phals, Heliconia, Plumeria

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Not too sure Pino... but they last quite awhile.... and they are like everblooms :)/>

Cheers

sweethalo

#10 User is offline   Uppthomson 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

View Postsweethalo, on Jun 12 2008, 11:44 AM, said:

Hey UppThomson... that's wht I find too... I have them planted in the backyard and I need to cut back soon... but am afraid to kill the plant if I do... so do u mean just changkol from where u don't want them to be and cut straight into the rhizome?

Thanks

sweethalo

Yes, i changkol straight into the earth and dug out the rizhomes. So basically i identify the patch i want to keep, then i use a pair of strong prunning shears (scissors) and cut down the unwanted growths to as near to ground as possible. That makes the chankoling easier.
:)/>

#11 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Really nice flowers. My two patches of torch gingers are very new and just growing shoots of leaves now. I have the pink and the red and hope to eventually get a white also, if I can persuade certain rabbit lovers in the household to give up their rabbit enclosure which is right next to my ginger patch. :glare:/> I have planted my torch gingers with some alocasia, cekur, kunyit, ordinary ginger and a costus. Could you share with us how you care for your plants?

#12 User is offline   Uppthomson 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

View PostShireen, on Jun 12 2008, 03:37 PM, said:

Really nice flowers. My two patches of torch gingers are very new and just growing shoots of leaves now. I have the pink and the red and hope to eventually get a white also, if I can persuade certain rabbit lovers in the household to give up their rabbit enclosure which is right next to my ginger patch. :glare:/> I have planted my torch gingers with some alocasia, cekur, kunyit, ordinary ginger and a costus. Could you share with us how you care for your plants?

Thanks for the compliment. Actually i did not really put a lot of effort into caring for the gingers, especially the red one cos its at the backyard. Fertilising is done by the chickens, i only need to cut away some old growth and old brown leaves and prevent them from spreading too much. :)/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users