Page 1 of 1

4th attempt at growing alocasia amazonica

#1 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hello folks

I'm glad to know that finally there's a garden forum by local folks for local folks! :greenthumb:/> I tried searching for one few yrs back but there was none like this one, apparently. Hope to learn from all the experts here!

I just got myself a pot of alocasia amazonica (my 4th pot). Hope this time it won't die on me so fast!
The "new" advice I got from the plant lady was to water it twice weekly instead of once weekly. I have also used a better grade soil when repoting it. Also, instead of a plastic pot, I've used clay pot for better root aeration. So these are the things I'm doing differently this time round. I know this plant is a shade-loving plant. I know the danger of over-watering. I know good soil drainage is important. I also know that having all the head knowledge is one thing, but translating it into success is quite a different thing.:(/> :D/>

Any alocasia experts here? Appreciate any advice.

This post has been edited by Mikeel: 21 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

#2 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

ayio, why water twice a day?
i only water one particular pot of my alocasia twice a day due to the following:

(1) it is under hot sun since the time the sun is out till the sun is gone.

(2) it is rather old & the roots have out grow the soils. (i can only see roots.)
i sometimes cover it with coco chips or compost (whichever i can find).

i have a few more pots of alocasia but i only water them once a day.
indeed, more like using hose to wet the leaves as to prevent spider mites........
alocasia love rich soil & great drainage (too wet it will rot).

what you could do is to use mix sands together with compost & burnt soil for your alocasia.
& if you worry that it gets too dry you can also mix them up with some coco peats.

you can also feed the alocasia with osmocote.

#3 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

View PostMikeel, on May 20 2008, 02:05 PM, said:

The "new" advice I got from the plant lady was to water it twice daily instead of once daily.

:oOops! i meant to say twice weekly. :o/> Sorry for the egregious error.

pino
You put alocasia under the hot sun? With all due respect, I thought that's should be a no-no? In fact, I was rather worried that my newly-acquired pot of alocasia might not take too well to the evening (4.00pm-6.30pm) sun that shines into my balcony that I moved it further away from the window. I'm under the impression that a bit of morning sun might be tolerated by alocasia amazonica, but late afternoon-to-evening sun, I'm quite doubtful. So what say you, eh?

#4 User is offline   pino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

you need to train it slowly, like inches by inches.
(plants are like human, take times to get use to the weather.)
anyway, i did that as i am running out of space.
but it is doing well, so i am not complaining except that it has problem flowering due to the hot sun.

#5 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hi Mikeel, welcome to GCS!

Firstly, I would like to assure you that alocasia amazonica is a very easy plant to look after, and i often neglect it. I believe many forum members have good experiences with this plant too.

Could you tell us how did your plant die the previous times - any symptoms such as tuber rot etc? I only water my pot of alocasia whenever i remember to (ie twice a week to so) but it is a large plant with a large tuber so it can withstand drought. I highly suspect that your plant rotted previously so maybe try watrering only when the soil is dry. As for light, I keep it in a corridor with fairly bright light, and it does well. I've seen groweres place it in full sun and i think that is ok if it is adapted and it does not burn. Either Morning and evening sun should do fine. :)/>

Do keep us updated on your plant's progress.

#6 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

View Postlimxuanhong, on May 20 2008, 06:03 PM, said:

Hi Mikeel, welcome to GCS!

Firstly, I would like to assure you that alocasia amazonica is a very easy plant to look after, and i often neglect it. I believe many forum members have good experiences with this plant too.

.... but it is a large plant.....

Thanks for the tips, but are we talking about the same plant? Alocasia amazonica (http://davesgarden.c...des/pf/go/2574/ ) is not large compared to other alocasia species, eg. those that grow in the wild on yet-to-be-concretetised plots of land in Singapore, which I think can well tolerate some direct sun. I also understand alocasia amazonica are quite fussy plants. In fact, I just got another pot on my way home yesterday after work... just in case. After previous failures and having undergone months without these beauties (as I couldn't find them), I've developed a sense of seperation anxiety of a green kind. LOL

#7 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Yes I assure you we are talking about the same plant :lol:/> Maybe I didnt qualify, my large plant means around 40-50cm for amazonica. And yes it is easy for me. I tend to water it once every few days but of course not let it dehydrate. My plant does not get full sun but it is ok with morning sun or evening sun .

#8 User is offline   Mikeel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

View Postlimxuanhong, on May 20 2008, 06:03 PM, said:

Could you tell us how did your plant die the previous times - any symptoms such as tuber rot etc?

I'm beginning to trust you more! :lol:/> LOL

So, to tap your experience for a diagnosis...
When my previous pots died, the leaves withered and turned yellow quickly, down to the tuber.
Sigh, I blame my failure to my penchant for a once-a-week, fuss-free approach to watering.
Also, I think I've read too many stories of plants dying from overwatering than underwatering that I have acquired another phobia - that of overwatering.LOL

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users