GCS Forum: d.fragrans. Repotting help. - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

d.fragrans. Repotting help.

#1 User is offline   budakfloppy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Hi, i bought a d.fragrans from ikea on the 18th march, erm there are 4canes in the pot.

Its really tight >.<

I would love to repot, but the root system is not that well established, only covers like half of the pot. I want to repot because they are placed touching each other, with one can having only one leaf head, and the ones that a sprouting has no space to grow... Is it ok if i repot NOW? and spread out the 4 canes into a MUCH BIGGER pot???

Ow ya, if so, what soil should i use? This is my first time owning a plant. I really love the broad leaves of d.fragrans

#2 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

For myself, I would pot each cane into a small pot that is just big enough to hold the root system. Inspect the base of the trunk. Some rots mighthave set in as the medium may be too wet. I would use pure sieved burnt earth. Water when the earth is almost dry. Put in a semi shaded position. Beware of overwatering. Keeping the soil on the drier side will encourage root formation. Alternatively you can pot two plants in one pot ensuring the buds are not obstructed to save space. A pot just enough to hold the roots is sufficient.

#3 User is offline   budakfloppy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Erm how do I get burnt sieved earth? And how much? Do I need to use any fertilisers? Like a slow release one or something, because i intend to put all 4 canes into a big pot and let it grow in there, hopefully for a long long time.

#4 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Frankly speaking, I do not agree to put all 4 canes in a big pot. Do note that the root system of the each cane is weak and by putting all of them in a big pot, the soil will take a long time to dry and your Dracaena will develop root/stem rots. It is crucial for the soil to dry out slightly before you water again. Drying out ensure accessibility of air to the root hairs which is very important to the health of plants in general.

Usually I will buy indonesian burnt earth and sieve the soil myself. Lots of work you might say. But it is worth it. I am not sure about the commercial brands available in the market as some contains too much peat which is difficult to dry out.

Only fertilise when the plant has developed a good root system. It is not advisable to fertilise when the root is weak. It may even cause burns to the new roots.

#5 User is offline   budakfloppy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hmmm.. ok thanks alot, i think i will place 2 canes in a pot... I still do not know how much the soil is though >.< Thanks anyway, ill visit a nursery tommorow or something

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users