GCS Forum: How Can I get my plumeria to grow faster? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How Can I get my plumeria to grow faster?

#1 User is offline   Shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

HI,

I planted a plumeria cutting about a month ago in a one gallon pot, in Perlite and soil mixture with rooting hormone. It is indoors with temperature of 27 degrees celcius, in the solarium which receives good sunlight (faces southwest).
When I got the cutting, it did have small leaves on the tips.

The cutting has rooted, the leaves are still small but they are getting longer and the branch tips are growing new bright shiny green growth.

However, it seems like it is growing really slow. If I am not mistaken, it almost seems like it sort of stopped :S

How can I get it to grow faster?

#2 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

View PostShelly, on Apr 12 2008, 10:00 PM, said:

HI,

I planted a plumeria cutting about a month ago in a one gallon pot, in Perlite and soil mixture with rooting hormone. It is indoors with temperature of 27 degrees celcius, in the solarium which receives good sunlight (faces southwest).
When I got the cutting, it did have small leaves on the tips.

The cutting has rooted, the leaves are still small but they are getting longer and the branch tips are growing new bright shiny green growth.

However, it seems like it is growing really slow. If I am not mistaken, it almost seems like it sort of stopped :S

How can I get it to grow faster?

Maybe you put too much rooting powder. If thats the case, just make sure its root take full advantage of rooting powder and grow to the max. Give fertilizer thats is good for root growth. When the effect of rooting hormone wears out. The top growth will be much faster since 1) Rooting powder wears off. 2) More than established of its root system. Means takein more neutrient, water from its root than plant of similar age.

Does it receive enough direct sun?

#3 User is offline   Shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

View Postmarkc, on Apr 13 2008, 10:28 AM, said:

Maybe you put too much rooting powder. If thats the case, just make sure its root take full advantage of rooting powder and grow to the max. Give fertilizer thats is good for root growth. When the effect of rooting hormone wears out. The top growth will be much faster since 1) Rooting powder wears off. 2) More than established of its root system. Means takein more neutrient, water from its root than plant of similar age.

Does it receive enough direct sun?

I think so. It is in the solarium indoors where it gets direct sun - also I have a grow lamp to supplement light on cloudy days.

#4 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

View PostShelly, on Apr 13 2008, 10:47 AM, said:

I think so. It is in the solarium indoors where it gets direct sun - also I have a grow lamp to supplement light on cloudy days.

What kind of lamp are you using? Wow, you really put a lot of effort into it leh. :lol:/>

#5 User is offline   Shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

View Postmarkc, on Apr 13 2008, 03:08 PM, said:

What kind of lamp are you using? Wow, you really put a lot of effort into it leh. :lol:/>

He he yes I do - I live in Toronto so we have a bit more of a challenge growing it...I have never experienced a plumeria in person but I am in love with this gorgeous plant and am really anxious to see it grow.

As far as the type of lamp, I am not sure, I got it at a home supplies store and it said it was a grow light. But I only use it on cloudy days though Spring is arriving here and we are getting more sun :)/>

#6 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

View PostShelly, on Apr 13 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

He he yes I do - I live in Toronto so we have a bit more of a challenge growing it...I have never experienced a plumeria in person but I am in love with this gorgeous plant and am really anxious to see it grow.

As far as the type of lamp, I am not sure, I got it at a home supplies store and it said it was a grow light. But I only use it on cloudy days though Spring is arriving here and we are getting more sun :)/>

OMG, I thought you are in Singapore. Ok ok, as far as i know. Plumeria don't like cold weather there. It can be easily killed by excessive rain or extended frost.

#7 User is offline   Shelly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

View Postmarkc, on Apr 13 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

OMG, I thought you are in Singapore. Ok ok, as far as i know. Plumeria don't like cold weather there. It can be easily killed by excessive rain or extended frost.

Yeah I keep in indoors..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users