Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

does anyone grow this...hehe...

#2 User is offline   gan55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plants, Choral Singing, Cooking, Computer Hardware, Haircutting

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

Is this the giant water lily, that has leaves that can purportedly support a child sitting on it?

#3 User is offline   HortVet 

• Flowering & Foliage Plants Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:all sorts of plants

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

yes, supposedly can hold weight of a baby.
AMK had a tub in the carpark years ago- died. The Beaufort hotel in Sentosa had a few which also flowered when my partner did some landscaping projects for them several years ago- dunno how they are now as we haven't been back since. The flower is really not much to behold tho. has a pineapple scent if not mistaken..?

#4 Guestryan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:24 PM

its not really the flower though...i just want to grow the plant cos im mesmerised by the round and beautiful leaves. sigh...but im afraid the thing might die on me...since its somewhat of a semi annual...

and its not cheap...

#5 User is offline   junde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:cactus: lithops n mesembs

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:46 AM

be careful of the spikes when the leaves are opening... theres a generous amt of them... haha..

#6 Guestlyndi_*

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

Hey Ryan

Found this picture of VA at SBG taken when my Greek friends were visiting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/lyndi_whye/Singapore%20Botanic%20Gardens/Peter%20in%20SBG/AtWaterLilyPond.jpg

#7 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Hi Jamal, seems like u also have expertise in giant waterlilies. I alway thot that there were 2 varieties that can be commonly seen in sgp but couldn't confirm...

#8 Guestlyndi_*

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hey! Jamal

You are an expert! These plants are hybridised by a lady working fr the SBG.
I just saw them again today when I was at her office. She has some 10 huge tubs of them outside her office. Not in blooming season though. They are renovating the ponds in the picture so all plants are being removed at the moment.

#9 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

I thought the most common hybrid is the Longwood Gardens hybrid which has the relatively large leaf span coupled with the red rim?
I believe that is what is grown and hybridised in order to get a plant that is hardier?

#10 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

Why is it that they don't grow well in tropical Singapore I wonder? I have seen several amazonica or Longwood hybrids grown in 3 different spots in Singapore, and the leaf span is <1m. Whereas the one I saw in Thailand (BKK region) had much larger leaves.

#11 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

actually the largest and beautiful specimens I ever saw in real life was in Kew and Munchen botanical gardens...sad becoz they keep in the glasshouse and they are doing better than those we see locally.

I agree with you that it's sometimes repotting issues and poor care, given the spikes on their leaves..even saw small kids with their parents throwing stones at the leaves in SBG in attempts to sink the leaves...I don't understand what's with humans sometimes... :hammer:

...i'd really like to see your pond one day after u've transferred the plant....

#12 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

jamal said:

Any Victoria lily of unknown provenance and parentage cannot be labelled as a Longwood Hybrid as that is exclusively a description for a cross between V. cruziana as the pod parent and V. amazonica as the pollen parent in a primary hybrid. Say if the order of pod and pollen parents were reversed, it would not be known as a "Longwood" and the subsequent plants would show a tendency toward the pod parent.

Many if not all of the Victorias grown in Singapore are of suspect parentage or hybrid status.

That would probably be the reason for the small leaf size and inconsistent characteristics that do not conform either to pure species or known provenance primary hybrids. Many growers are also unsympathetic to their needs as heavy feeders when mature and extremely susceptible to leaf wilt or melt as young plantlets.

It would be highly unlikely that an adult pure V. amazonica in high light and warmth, grown in optimal conditions would exhibit any leaf smaller than 90 cm in diameter and I have seen them more than 1.8 m in diameter overseas.

How many places would they repot their Victorias when the roots start creeping out of the surface of the pot and give buried doses of fertiliser weekly to large plants in-situ?

I'll post out the pics of my plant when it starts putting out new leaves in the mud pond, right now it is still in a fibreglass koi pond waiting for a move...

Hmmm.... the doubtful parentage would explain the differences I see here vs. the one in BKK, but I guess the plants in Singaporean nurseries are mainly from Thailand? Is that correct?
Good luck on your transfer- I think that's the hardest bit? :flowers:/>

#13 User is offline   HortVet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:19 PM

excellent, excellent... will wait for your pix....

#14 User is offline   3sgjeffery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Swimming, Zoids, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:18 PM

Hmmm... so in the end, who grows that giant?
ryan, you?

#15 User is offline   pitcherplantcrazy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:nepenthes, other carnivorous plants, bromeliads, airplants

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

Any photos Jamal??

best wishes, Neil.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic