GCS Forum: mandevilla pests - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

mandevilla pests

#1 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hi....does anyone know whats the best way to kill and prevent mealy bugs (white cottonlike pests residing under the leaves) infestation on mandevilla? ...these vines are very susceptible to mealy bugs...do i use a topical (sprayed directly on the pest) or systemic ( sprayed into the soil and then taken up by the roots of plant) insecticide or both? or should i use something natural like neem oil? thanks

This post has been edited by Dexter: 23 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

#2 User is offline   carriehaaay88 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

i am having the same problem with my mandevilla, and cant seem to find any answers. i have been spraying them with a direct stream of 50% alcohol/ 50% water out of a garden sprayer and that seems to kill them but there are so many they keep making new "web" things. i do this everyday but i cant get them under control. HELP ME!!!

AND COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME: IF THERE ARE MEALY BUGS ON MY LEAVES DOES THAT MEAN THAT I HAVE SOIL MEALIES TOO? AND HOW DO I PREVENT SOIL MEALIES IF NOT?

This post has been edited by carriehaaay88: 11 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

#3 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:growing edibles, fragrant, flowering plants/ herbs

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi carrie and dextor, i totally understand your frustration with the insects infestation. I'm struggling with pests too.

Maybe you can take a look at this website http://www.mda.state.mn.us/plants/insects/...e/mealybugs.htm

I also had some problem with the bugs and i changed the soil for the whole plant. Thank goodness it is a small pot.

I also read that mealybugs wun be a huge problem unless you have ants plaguing your plant as they will protect the mealybugs from other predators.

Neem oil dun really worked that well for me but i think it can deter some insects if you use it everyday. I think it serves better as a deterrence than as solution if you already have an insect infestation.

Hope that helps in some small ways. The experts will be able to assist you better.

Meanwhile, dun panic!

#4 User is offline   carriehaaay88 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

thank you for the site Faeryberry! very informative. i got some new aerosol spray (Ortho; Orthenex Insect and Disease Control) that im testing out. i went out on my back porch this morn and i actually saw some of the bugs. ive just seen the white web stuff until today. so i sprayed them with the new spray and got them off of the leaf with a paper towel. i sat the paper towel down and kept checking to see if the spray actually killed the bugs..... i dont know how active these little pests are but none of the bugs have moved a few hours now. ill post again later today or tomorow and update how this spray does.........

#5 User is offline   Faeryberry 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:growing edibles, fragrant, flowering plants/ herbs

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

All the best!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users