GCS Forum: Money plant - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Money plant

#1 User is offline   emily 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:34 AM

my money plant is getting bigger and bigger.
as i keep curling the plant over and over again, will it strangle itself to death?

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

Haha... the money will never strangle itself to death... :happy:

But beware of letting it grow too long for two reasons, namely, the plant if allowed to grow too long will get straggy and the new growth may not be vigorous and the leaves tend to get smaller and second, the older leaves may die and fall off and the bare stems can be unsightly.

I personally prefer a compact money plant and you can keep it in that shape by frequently pruning the plant. The stems can be saved and rooted in water and u get a new plant! :happy:

#3 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

"money plants" are members of the Aroid family. You would know the variegated ones (there are quite a few) as mostly Epipremnum aureum (the big money plant). Some of these "epis" need to grow UP a support and then their leaves will get bigger as they get more sunlight. That is how they grow in the rainforest.

Will introduce other climbers (Philodendrons) next.

#4 User is offline   gan55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants, Choral Singing, Cooking, Computer Hardware, Haircutting

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Its best to cut them back once in a while. You can propagate more plants from these cuttings~

#5 User is offline   emily 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

I just pruned them but threw away all the cuttings.
Because there will be a lot of them

#6 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:44 PM

View Postwhammer, on Jul 10 2005, 06:33 PM, said:

are there many kinds of money plants?

Too many ha ha ha. Scindapsus alone there must be 15-20 types available in the mkt - Normal money plant - Scin aureus, I have seen so many variations of the green and yellow variegation. Then they have the Lemon or golden money plant - Some call them Scin goldiana but I have seen this version with streaked white and green leaves. Then they have the Scin Marble Queen - green with white streak or white with greendots. Mind boggling and I dunno how to diffrentiate the actuall species or variety. This plant character change with the light condition. I have seen the light gren with dark green marble queen turn into perfect green money plants.

Den they have Scin pictus 4-5 varieties available. I am collecting these and have 3 types so far. Anybody got any cuttings, please gimme some.

Den they have the Philodendrons - like a few hundred (or thousand types). The philo scandens look like money plants. In fact some shops sell them as money plants. Look out for these and many other varities at Cheers or Cold Storage supermarket. They sell for as low as $2.90 per pot or 3 for $10 - Dunno who supply them. But is good value. Pasar malam also sell.

Scin and Philo and all other aroids are kinda weird. They change leaf shape and colour as they grow older. The Monstera also - esp the Mon. nechodomii (dragon tail) they look like long leaved money plant when young but as they grow older and start climbing trees, the leaf gorw longer and bigger and split into dragon tail shape. Scindapsus money plants too - I have seen the normal money grow into huge 60cm leaves, split and looking like Monstera deliciosa leaf.

Den they have the Raphidophoras and the Vanillas. These can look like money plants also. The Raphidophora can be the trailing sort or they can grow close to the wall as flat as Ficus pumila. The Vanilla is an orchid with growing habit of the money plant. I have - pm me if you want cuttings. But kinda hard to establish...

The other "Money" plant Zamiaculcus zamifolia - dunno whether you seen this. They have shiny leaves and the nurseries sells tons of these during CNY is an Aroid also. I didnt know until one day I saw it flowering. Thot it was a Zamia. ha ha ha.

This post has been edited by hunkebun: 24 July 2006 - 11:04 PM

#7 User is offline   janaka 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Country music,cricket, collecting huperzia, platycerium and rare and unusual plants

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi Wilson, I came to Singapore on Friday morning, and on Saturday afternoon i have mate one of your forum's senior member Mr. Leong lup san, he was very very helpful to me, he came and pick me up from his car and visited one of his good friends nursery and i was lucky to have a blue huperzia, and two more huperzia's which is not available in my collection, only thing i was in a hurry to rush to the air port it was pouring rain and lightning on Saturday but leong was very Curtice to take me to the nursery during heavy rain, so I wants say BIG THANK YOU to you for the great help, and giving me a contact of a Friend and a gentlemen, hope to come to Singapore leisurely to see and buy some more ferns in future.
Janaka FROM SRILANKA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users