Page 1 of 1

Hedychium coronarium fruit

#1 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

The butterfly ginger, Hedychium coronarium, is by far, a ginger that I loved most because it produces extremely fragrant flowers, something that is quite unique amongst plants in the ginger family, Zingiberaceae. Many people in my community are quite surprised to know that there are gingers that bear fragrant flowers. Wrote a feature article which was published on this website.

Besides its fragrant and pretty flowers, the butterfly ginger also produces fruits are a beauty in their own right. Recently, I was quite surprised to spot a ripe fruit of the butterfly ginger which had freshly split opened to reveal the seeds. The rind of the fruit was a bright orange, which contrasts starkly with the seeds that were covered in a prominent red coloured flesh. Altogether, it looks delicious enough to be eaten but I haven’t got the guts to try it yet…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/kuehlapis/hedychiumfruit.jpg

Does anyone know what would be the plant's pollinators in Singapore? I would be interested to know that...

Wilson

#2 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Nice, though I have no idea what its pollinators are, but if you have no use for the seeds (after you consume the rind) do let me try germinating them ^_^/>

#3 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi Neverend,

Sorry, maybe next time! ;)/>

I didn't quite bother to collect the seeds since it is faster and much easier to multiply this ginger via division of clumps.

I just took this picture since I thought quite a lot of us here may not have seen ginger fruiting.

Wilson

#4 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

Aw, but yeah I've never seen it fruit before, thanks for sharing something new :)/>

#5 User is offline   Boon-kun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants lol.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hi Wilson. I am not exactly sure what are its pollinators, but given its white flowers and fragrant smell, my guess would be nocturnal creatures, e.g., beetles, moths, bats(?!). :lol:/>

#6 User is offline   SNOW PRINCE 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi, does anyone know where I can buy a Hedychium coronarium ginger plant in singapore?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users