GCS Forum: Prince of Orange Philodendron - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Prince of Orange Philodendron Expertise

#1 User is offline   caroltropicals 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

I have just bought this plant. I believe the nursery has given me erroneous information concerning this plant's care. They said it could withstand some sun, but from reading, I believe it needs to be in the shade.
I understand it is a houseplant, but I bought it to put in my flowerbed. I did notice that some of the philodendrons will do well in cooler weather. Does anyone specifically know about this species of philodendron. thanks in advance. I am in Houston !
Can I plant this outdoors in the spring !!!

#2 User is offline   eltonmarkjimenez 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I love collecting rare and exotic plants but I mostly love making hybrids out of them. I am interested in seeing what they will look like when they grow especially Anthuriums.<br /><br />I mostly sell my plants but I also like to trade them for specific plants that I think I dont have in volume or are not in my collection.<br /><br />

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

View Postcaroltropicals, on Jan 28 2008, 09:30 AM, said:

I have just bought this plant. I believe the nursery has given me erroneous information concerning this plant's care. They said it could withstand some sun, but from reading, I believe it needs to be in the shade.
I understand it is a houseplant, but I bought it to put in my flowerbed. I did notice that some of the philodendrons will do well in cooler weather. Does anyone specifically know about this species of philodendron. thanks in advance. I am in Houston !
Can I plant this outdoors in the spring !!!

Philodedrons are not known to be sun lovers although some can be trained if you gradually increase its light exposure. The quality would be far inferior that philodendrons under the shade. Most home owners love to put them inside there houses to add a little color and give it a "homey" ambience. It is true that some varieties do well on cooler weather, in fact some would have a brighter shade of color than they would usually have if put under this conditions.

This post has been edited by eltonmarkjimenez: 28 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

#3 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

If you get temps down to around 30-40F in winter, you might like to be careful about placing these philos outside. They do and can suffer cold damage.

A better alternative is to keep them as houseplants. They do however require higher humidity (put it over a pebble tray filled with water) and to regularly bring them outside to hose off the dust on the leaves.

#4 User is offline   caroltropicals 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

Thanks to all. When you have as many plants as I have, you want to do as little work possible.

I do understand that you can take the small runners and plant them for a new plant. This is absolutely without a doubt one of the most beautiful plants I have ever purchased. For me to pay 45.00 is a miracle.
I believe I will try to root the small shoots and try this plant in different places. I guess I will then be somewhat knowledgeable about this species of philo.
You guys are great.
I have just been in touch with someone about the pink princess philo. This one will thankfully take the cold. Thanks again to all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users