GCS Forum: Thunbergia mysorensis - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

Thunbergia mysorensis Can it flower in lowland?

#1 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Hi....has anyone tried growing thunbergia mysorensis? can it flower? will it have lots of flowers? common name is lady's slipper vine or mysore clock vine.....its bicoloured ie yellow and brownish....thanks.... im from petaling jaya, msia

#2 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

almost impossible.
but go up a few hundred metres in elevation eg: 700-800m and the chance of flowering will go up by 100%. It flowers very easily in Cameron Highlands at around 1500m.

#3 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

I see.....i have been asking around to see if anyone has tried growing it in lowland...one article by Lam Peng Sam in New Straits Times Malaysia mentioned this " i have one plant on my fence but it only flowered very minimally a couple of times. It comes as no surprise as it prefers cooler climate of the highlands"... also i recently been to a paradise garden in Malaysia ( i seriously recommend visiting this place...it is worth visiting but appointments need to be made). It is in Kampung Paku, Alor Gajah Melaka ...website is desapaku.com..the owner of the garden ie Mushlim Musa mentioned to me that he tried growing it before but for many years it only flowered twice....so i guess my chances are slim if i try to grow this plant...but i really dun mind as long as i get to see the flowers even once..it would be a miracle!! i think it is the night time temperature that needs to be simulated as nightime in cameron highlands is cool whereas in the daytime it is hot and sunny....Any idea if there is a nursery in Johor Bahru that might be selling this plant? Cameron Highlands is kinda far and i would be going down to JB during chinese new year.

#4 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Why don't you check the flower nuseries along sg buloh!?? so many surely one of them would have this plant. I am sure you know how to identify the plant even without flwoers right? If the nurseries don't have, you can always ask them to help you source for one.

Well, I would have made the cameron trip if I were you. It would just be a weekend trip to secure the plant and to breathe in the cool air. Very worth the 2-3 hours drive (one way). Try using the Simpang Pulai new road; further but faster. If you want to know which nursery in CH has it, PM me.

#5 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have checked the nurseries in sg. buloh bt they dun hv it..i guess i could ask them to source it for me or maybe take a drive to cameron highlands using that highway which i hv never tried before......

#6 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Actually, a singapore nursery has it. This is another alternative.

#7 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

really? what is the name of the nursery??

#8 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

worldfarm at bah soon pah road

#9 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

great...thanks for the info!

#10 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Has anyone heard of the theory where using cold water to water temperate plants might stimulate them to flower in tropical climate? I have heard abt this before bt not sure if its jus some myth....any ideas?

#11 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

dexter, are you talking about this vine?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/200709_JandaBaik161.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/200709_JandaBaik034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/200709_JandaBaik146.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/shamrockv/200709_JandaBaik162.jpg

as u can see, i couldnt take enough photos of it. i thought it was the loveliest vine i had ever seen - second only to the wisteria. the blooms just hang down and it takes many weeks for each 'strand' to be spent of its blooms.

my host gave me a plant - it's doing fine but he warned me that it wouldnt bloom for me in the lowlands. i just had to try anyhow .... when i visit again i'll see if he'll let me have a cutting for you, ok? mine is just too small unless you are really, really patient - that is, if you have not already found a plant.

This post has been edited by shamrock: 30 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

#12 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:39 AM

hi shamrock...yes this is the plant indeed and yes it is very beautiful....i saw it in cameron highlands last time....thanks for your kind offer but i managed to obtain the plant from sungai buloh already....some plant seller in sungai buloh told me that in our lowland climate, the plant needs to be a few years old, maybe even 5 years before it starts to flower whereas if it were grown in cool climates it can flower at a younger age..i dont know whether this fact is true, but hopefully it is and in a few years time i may see it bloom for the first time!!...maybe since worldfarm has sold this plant before, it is possible to make it flower in lowland climate, have to ask them for advice...you mentioned that your ' host' gave the plant to you...where does your host come from??

#13 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

he's from the bukit tinggi area. if what the guy at Sg B told you is true, we'll have a very long wait. i bought a Pyrostegia from camerons and it's not bloomed for all the 10 years i've had it. i've given up waiting - maybe i should take it up to bukit tinggi.

#14 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

bukit tinggi will be perfect.. in fact anywhere at or above 1000m.. like genting sempah that area would be good too.

#15 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

anyone interesting in land there? half acre and one acre plots (i think) - a house (your design) and land would come up to about rm900K (minimum, i guess).

#16 User is offline   Dexter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

the nursery woman at sungai buloh also told me that pyrostegia venusta needs to be at least 5 years before can flower...and it flower unpredictably... however another nursery woman at sungai buloh told me that she used to sell thunbergia mysorensis and pyrostegia venusta in her nursery. she said it should flower even when small and it flowers all the time...i actually showed her the pictures of the plant and also brought the plant to show her....maybe the climate in sungai buloh is slightly different because of the surrounding jungle and morning mist which cools the environment...

#17 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

View Postshamrock, on May 4 2008, 02:16 PM, said:

anyone interesting in land there? half acre and one acre plots (i think) - a house (your design) and land would come up to about rm900K (minimum, i guess).

dunno anything about there.. shamrock u from KL right? should make more trips there and update us. another place is the janda baik area which is also nearby and near the karak highway.

#18 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

View PostDexter, on May 4 2008, 02:43 PM, said:

the nursery woman at sungai buloh also told me that pyrostegia venusta needs to be at least 5 years before can flower...and it flower unpredictably... however another nursery woman at sungai buloh told me that she used to sell thunbergia mysorensis and pyrostegia venusta in her nursery. she said it should flower even when small and it flowers all the time...i actually showed her the pictures of the plant and also brought the plant to show her....maybe the climate in sungai buloh is slightly different because of the surrounding jungle and morning mist which cools the environment...

yes, it makes a big difference staying next to a park/jungle; concrete retains heat and thus the nights are still too warm. I believe if you can get nights down to 22-23C would be sufficient for the plant to flower. Think of it like this, Mysore, which is in India, would supposedly get very very high temps in summer.. maybe even 40C; but it has a submonsoon climate whereby that part of the year would be cool and dry; 19-25C?

#19 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

View Postislaverde, on May 4 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

dunno anything about there.. shamrock u from KL right? should make more trips there and update us. another place is the janda baik area which is also nearby and near the karak highway.

i know. my host lives there - beaaauuuutiful place - gated community. they have a stream running through the property so all the irrigation water for the veg and flower gardens is from the stream. jungle and hills all around.

#20 User is offline   Kingfisher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

Saw it in Cameron Highlands, they look so lovely that I took a few photo of it. Have to go dig out my CD to post the pictures.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users