GCS Forum: Dandelion - GCS Forum

• 3 Pages +

Dandelion

#1 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:32 PM

It is a weed in many places in the west. But dandelions are also served in salads . Many have claimed its nutritional properties.

Im wondering whether we are allowed to grow this plant in Singapore?

If allowed, where can i get it?

#2 User is offline   emily 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:11 AM

dandelion is a good herb for detoxing our systems?

#3 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:31 AM

Hmmm...not to sure whether can detox ....But what i noe it is good to eat... It is realted to the curly endive. According to one book, endive has properties that nourish our optic nerves.... :flowers:/>

Im juz looking for more plants to add into my salad.... :drool:/>

#4 User is offline   orchideenjaeger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Laelinae, Curly Wurlies, Brachys, Phals and Bao Kah Liao

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

Some countries e.g. Australia have a weed listing and those plants found on that listing are not allowed for entry into the country - be it plant or seed. So despite not being like Singapore and not requiring Phyto Sanitory for seed if one has an import permit, the sender will still have to identify the seed before the seed is allowed entry into the country.

Dandelion is found in a lot of preparations nourishing the liver and it is also commonly used as a diuretic.

#5 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

Hello Prana,

If u walk on a grass patch anywhere in Singapore look carefully. Dandelion weeds can be found here. I know there's a flower patch being taken care of by the residents here in Yishun and I've seen dandelion being grown there.

#6 User is offline   tilly21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Botany student... all bromeliads, euphorbias, aroids (philodendrons etc.), house plants... getting to know other lands, astronomy, college...

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

dandelion?... i never heard of that :huh:/> can someone give me a website to see? i would like to read that, it sounds intresting. we have them growing everywhere here they are a pest, but i never knew that... i personally love all plants, and hate to cut them down... they are very prolific, if they are cut down they must be thrown away, because if the flower stalk is cut down it will immediately set seed and make new plants. there are sevral types of dandelion here many are REAL weeds and have sharp spiny leaves

#7 User is offline   Maddie Tham 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Hi
I haven't really seen the edible variety in Singapore. Based on my experience in the UK the dandelion is very invasive.
Plant is not bad looking with spiky leaves and yellow double daisy like flowers. One flower forms hundreds of feathery seeds which are transported by wind and sets soil easily. On top of that, the mature plant has very deep main roots that make the plant hard to dig out when weeding. People who are fussy with their lawns find the dandelions a great bother.
So if u do get your hands on some seeds and want to grow them,, make sure you cut the flowerheads off before they set seed in other people's garden. After all, you only want the leaves for salads and tea.

Cheers
Maddie

#8 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

I have an ongoing battle with the local dandelions in my garden. Forget the Enid Blyton romanticism, of fairies taking rides on dandelion flowers carried by the wind, these guys are almost impossible to eradicate. As Maddie says, they grow very easily and quickly, and before you know it, there are dandelion puffs all over the place. To remove mature, flowering plants, you have to first carefully pinch off the flowers, or risk a few seeds dropping onto the soil to start a new generation. And then to wait for a few hours after a heavy rain, so that you can pull out it out with the roots and all. They have a very strong and long tap root that goes in very deep. Also, their stems are weak and snap off easily at the base (somewhat like lizard tails), so that the plant can regenerate from just the remnant roots.

#9 User is offline   3sgjeffery 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Swimming, Zoids, Carnivorous Plants

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Wait wait, i confused.
I thought Singapore has Dandelion??
What is the different between Local and oversea?
Its size?

#10 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

I believe they're the same thing....

#11 User is offline   tilly21 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Botany student... all bromeliads, euphorbias, aroids (philodendrons etc.), house plants... getting to know other lands, astronomy, college...

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

well here (Texas) there are three types i'll take pics soon...

one is the fastest growing... it is a stemless rosette and the leaves lie flat against the ground... they are strongly lobed and flower stalks are exceedingly tall about 1ft... leaves are soft and very thin no spines or defenses... one flower per plant...

the other is a little slower at growing, it is stalk-forming... cross-section of stem reveals a geometic shape... sometimes purple-tinged in light... forms more than one stalk (branching) reaches heights several feet tall... it is persistant and forms many flowers over the season before dieing... leaves very thick and deeply lobed sharp spines on leaves are effective when older...

the next is just like above but only grows to less than a foot tall...

another sometimes takes a reddish or purple color it maybe the small one but i only see it during the summer...

all have yellow flowers and have the exact same seed dispersal (achne, or seed with a parachute)

#12 User is offline   perkylips 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Here's the medicinal use of dandelion
http://www.botanical...d/dandel08.html

and here's a pic of one species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion

mm, may I get dandelion from you?
I'll try eating it and see its effects :P/>

#13 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

View Postperkylips, on May 28 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

mm, may I get dandelion from you?
I'll try eating it and see its effects :P/>

Heya Perks - surely, you jest. But if you're adamant, I can offer you some - complete with (MSG) monosodium glyphosate seasoning. :P/>

#14 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

hey mm, how does the local dandelion in ur garden look like?

#15 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Prana,

Took a short break from work, and popped downstairs to do your bidding.

Here's one which I pulled out. It's not a particularly healthy one, as it had lots of competition with other weeds (I'm beginning to consider myself an organic weed gardener B)/> ). Note that the main tap root had, predictably, broken off at the top, near the stem. It will come back with fresh growth to haunt me another day. Note that it doesn't need much foliage to produce flowers.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/mmlim/Dandelion1.jpg

And here's a closer up (not close up, per se, as my camera can't do macro). This one is a lot healthier. Pls note that the heart shape leaves at the background are not it's leaves. They belong to another pesky weed vine.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/mmlim/Dandelion2.jpg

This post has been edited by mm: 28 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

#16 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hey mm and prana and others,

The dandelion I've seen here looks nothing like that. They have tough looking green leaves and are similar to the ones I've seen in my sister's backyard in Melbourne. By the way Mark I just got back from Melbourne and I managed to bring back abt 20 Lavenders......

#17 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hey mm and prana and others,

The dandelion I've seen here looks nothing like that. They have tough looking green leaves and are similar to the ones I've seen in my sister's backyard in Melbourne. By the way Mark I just got back from Melbourne and I managed to bring back abt 20 Lavenders......Prana I'm trying to recall where in Yishun I've seen the residents growing the edible version of Dandelion. Gimme sometime to recall as it's been a while.

#18 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

I have another variety of Dandelion with larger dark green leaves with serrated edges, but didn't want to spend too much time in the hot sun poking around to try to locate them.

LG - 20 pots of lavenders? I hope they were small pots :rolleyes:/>

#19 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

View Postmm, on May 28 2007, 02:19 PM, said:

I have another variety of Dandelion with larger dark green leaves with serrated edges, but didn't want to spend too much time in the hot sun poking around to try to locate them.

LG - 20 pots of lavenders? I hope they were small pots :rolleyes:/>

I believe that's the one that edible....It was such a thrill to bring back that many lavenders Mark and the pots range from small to huge. The plants filled my carry on to the brim and the overhead luggage compartment smelt heavenly. By the way I just got word that there's an avacado tree growing in Boy's Town and the tree is just giving off tonnes of avacados. Maybe you shld go check it out. :lol:/>

#20 User is offline   perkylips 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

View Postmm, on May 28 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

Heya Perks - surely, you jest. But if you're adamant, I can offer you some - complete with (MSG) monosodium glyphosate seasoning. :P/>

well mm, I'm not jesting! I sprayed gyphosate on my dandelion 'weed' although it did occur to me to save it but with so many 'weed' herbs to save, I left it and its dead.

Tell you how I'll be doing it. I'll be growing yours in isolation using organic method. I'll be eating only the new shoots! But aren't any of the local ones edible at all? Perhaps they just aren't as tasty as the ones in Melbourne.

wow...20 lavenders!

This post has been edited by perkylips: 28 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users