GCS Forum: My fruit vegetables have fruited! - GCS Forum

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »

My fruit vegetables have fruited! growing various edibles (updated pictures)

#41 User is offline   kelmund 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Good Good cannot wait to see the next edition

#42 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Purple King French Beans
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/beans3.jpg

Angled Luffa: Developing Fruit
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/Luffa2.jpg

Capegooseberry: Budding
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/capegooseberry.jpg

#43 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Angled luffa:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/Luffa3.jpg
After one week, the angled luffa is now 43cm long. Will harvest it next week when it grows slightly fatter.

Radish:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/radish.jpg
The root radishes (both in pots or in the ground) don't grow well for me. Will be trying to grow the aerial radishes soon.

#44 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

hi Wisteria
Did you grow the white radish from the tap root or from seeds? tia

#45 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hi Chawanmushi
The white radishes were grown from seeds. I won't be growing root radishes anymore since both attempts have produced unsatisfactory results. A very kind GCS member passed me the seeds of aerial radish (a food plant that's totally new to me). The fact that these radishes don't have fleshy roots means I won't have the same problem I face when growing root radishes.

#46 User is offline   Dnn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Wisteria your plants and their fruits are very healthy looking. Yum! Yum!

#47 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

hi wisteria, good luck with ur aerial radish. Im curious how they look like.

how big is ur purple french bean and angled luffa? ur radish looks ok to me ...

#48 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hi Dnn
I only zoom in on the better looking ones. I'm fighting a losing battle against powdery mildew and attacks by beetles & locusts.

Hi prana
I have just sowed some rat-tailed radish seeds today.
I actually don't know what is the ideal length to harvest the purple French bean. I have so far harvested only 3 French beans when they reach 12cm long & 1cm wide. The angled luffa is currently 43cm long & 4cm wide at the fattest part. It still looks skinny to me, but I better harvest it a few days later (ie. within 14 days from pollination).

#49 User is offline   solanum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

Your radish looks wonderful to me, Wisteria! I have never managed to grow Chinese Radishes here (Queensland, Australia): as soon as they become a bit fat, they bolt and go to flower... I have a bit more success with small radishes grown during the cooler season.
Rat-tailed radishes are a nice substitute and they grow easily but they spread a lot so give them plenty of room!

#50 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

View Postprana, on Feb 14 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

ur radish looks ok to me ...

View Postsolanum, on Feb 15 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

Your radish looks wonderful to me, Wisteria! I have never managed to grow Chinese Radishes here (Queensland, Australia): as soon as they become a bit fat, they bolt and go to flower... I have a bit more success with small radishes grown during the cooler season.
Rat-tailed radishes are a nice substitute and they grow easily but they spread a lot so give them plenty of room!

Hi prana & solanum

Don't be deceived by this picture:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/radish.jpg

Early last year I grew 2 Chinese white radishes. I had loosen the soil & removed every tiny bit of stone etc before planting the radishes. The fat root section above soil level & the large leaves looked wonderful (even better than the one in the above picture). I was happily pulling out the radishes wondering how big they would be. To my great disappointment, the fleshy roots below soil only extended about 5cm. The roots just couldn't develop properly & one of the 2 radishes was eaten by soil pests. The radishes looked so healthy above soil level though they were deformed underground.

I sowed 6 radish seeds again late last year. After 1 month, 2 of them showed extremely stunted growth as the root section underground had rotted. One radish grown in a pot showed good leaf growth after 6 weeks, but when I gently dug the soil around it, I found that there wasn't any fleshy root at all. I pulled it out only to find thread-like roots (like those of other plants). Hence I don't have high hopes on the surviving ones.

A couple of the rat-tailed radish seeds I sowed yesterday had sprouted. I will space the plants wide apart.
Solanum, are these radishes delicious & are they commonly available in Queensland's markets?

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 15 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

#51 User is offline   solanum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

The part eaten in rat-tailed radishes is actually the immature seed pod so it takes some time for the plant first to make the flower stem and then for the seed pods to develop. But once production starts, the pods can be harvested for a long time. They are very nice raw on their own or added to salads. I have read that they can be cooked but I haven't tried. They are quite uncommon in Australia and I have never seen them for sale but I like growing uncommon stuff...
Here is an interesting link on rat-tailed radish:

http://www.kitchenga...led_radish.html

#52 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the information.
The generous member who gave me the seeds provided me with same website link a few days ago. Prior to that, I had never heard of aerial radish before because I always associated radish with the big white root (Chinese & Japanese radishes) or the small red root (European radish).

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 15 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

#53 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

From garden to kitchen:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/Harvest4.jpg
round eggplant, phoenix pumpkin & "Purple King" French beans

I won't be growing eggplants & pumpkins in the near future since the poor yield of both types can't justify the big plot areas allotted to them. I will be growing leafy vegetables in boxes next & planting the rat-tailed radishes in the ground where my okra plants used to be.

#54 User is offline   jolantru 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

Your fruits look great, Wisteria! :)/>

Jolantru

#55 User is offline   shamrock 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

View PostWisteria, on Feb 17 2009, 02:56 PM, said:

From garden to kitchen:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/Harvest4.jpg
round eggplant, phoenix pumpkin & "Purple King" French beans

I won't be growing eggplants & pumpkins in the near future since the poor yield of both types can't justify the big plot areas allotted to them. I will be growing leafy vegetables in boxes next & planting the rat-tailed radishes in the ground where my okra plants used to be.

wisteria, you're the queen of veg! your veg don't just look lovely, you manage to make them look like pieces of art as well! :)/>

#56 User is offline   Chawanmushi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Trying to get green things to grow at Chawan's Landing!

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

View PostWisteria, on Feb 15 2009, 05:51 PM, said:

Thanks for the information.
The generous member who gave me the seeds provided me with same website link a few days ago. Prior to that, I had never heard of aerial radish before because I always associated radish with the big white root (Chinese & Japanese radishes) or the small red root (European radish).

I'm excited to see you harvest your rat tail radish too .... it will be my first time see it :-)

#57 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for all your kind comments!

I like to take pictures of the harvested edibles as I want to keep a record of the food plants that I have grown because I may not grow the same food plants again in future.

Shamrock, I'm a "queen" only in my tiny "kingdom".
When compared to the bountiful harvests from the community gardens, my little harvest only shows that I'm "Wisteria of all trades, mistress of none".

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 18 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

#58 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

Another photo for the album:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/Harvest5.jpg

My first angled luffa is 46cm long & 5cm wide at the fattest part. I have kept the yellow pumpkin the past few months (no intention to eat it) for display in the living room. It was still a developing green fruit when the careless gardener cut off one of my pumpkin vines last year. The green pumpkin was harvested last week prematurely at 30 days after pollination because the vine totally dried up during the recent heat wave. Otherwise I would have left it to ripen on the vine for another 2 more weeks.

Thanks for viewing!

#59 User is offline   sirodt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Love nature, gardening (especially growing edibles), reading, cycling & all outdoors

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hi Wisteria,

I really enjoy scrolling down this tread reading & looking at all the pictures of your vege fruit plants & postings. Truly amazed how wonderfully you have managed your vege garden & enjoyed harvesting them.

Those lovely pictures of your many harvests are indeed interestingly artistically taken. Like what Shamrock suggested, it will be nice to frame the pictures & hang them up in your kitchen.

You've indeed inspired me. Thanks.

:offtopic:/> Weirdly, the ceylon spinach I was trying to grow from stem cutting & posted some time ago, still remaining that
same size. Just refuses to grow any more. It's still alive with that little leaf on the node, look exactly the same
like in the picture I last posted. Sad ...

#60 User is offline   kelmund 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

View Postsirodt, on Feb 18 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

Hi Wisteria,

I really enjoy scrolling down this tread reading & looking at all the pictures of your vege fruit plants & postings. Truly amazed how wonderfully you have managed your vege garden & enjoyed harvesting them.

Those lovely pictures of your many harvests are indeed interestingly artistically taken. Like what Shamrock suggested, it will be nice to frame the pictures & hang them up in your kitchen.

You've indeed inspired me. Thanks.

:offtopic:/> Weirdly, the ceylon spinach I was trying to grow from stem cutting & posted some time ago, still remaining that
same size. Just refuses to grow any more. It's still alive with that little leaf on the node, look exactly the same
like in the picture I last posted. Sad ...

try some seaweed solution should improve. or hormone treatment

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users