GCS Forum: My Yucca plant is terribly sick, pls help. Thanks. - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

My Yucca plant is terribly sick, pls help. Thanks.

#1 User is offline   sgblingff 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

I bought my Yucca plant 2 years ago. But in recent months, I noticed the plant is not growing well. Below are the symptoms I noticed or actions done. All along, I placed my Yucca by the window.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/plant1.jpg

1. My Yucca plant has a hydro-indicator, to indicate the level of water and it tells me when I need to water the plant. I noticed the water level on the indicator does not drop gradually like when I first bought the plant. There were times where I never water the plant for months, because the indicator did not drop to the 'water-plant' level. But I took the initiative to add water to the plant instead, cause I suspect the indicator is faulty. Sometimes, I ended adding too much water, whereby the indicator rises to the 'too-much water' level. But I just leave it as it is.

2. Black/dark brown spots are appearing, mostly at the end of the leaves. And the spots will slowly spread down the leaves.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/plant3.jpg

3. The spots cause the leave to slowly dry up, and the leaves will turn yellow and eventually hang downwards.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/plant2.jpg

4. There are also brown sticky droplets on the spots. I don't know what they are, but I believe the droplets are causing the spots.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/plant4.jpg

5. I also noticed that on one of the bundle of leaves where the leaves grow out from the stem, there are black/brown patches. No sticky droplets are found on the patches.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/plant5.jpg

6. I have tried cutting away those dried leaves, or those leaves with spots. But the spots are still appearing.

7. I have also add plant insecticide to my yucca, but it is not recovering.

What is wrong with my Yucca? Is it attack by any disease? What are those sticky droplets?
What can I do to help save my Yucca? I really need some advice. Thanks.

Regards,
sgblingff

#2 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

I dont really grow yucca, but i guess its a lack of light which causes the plant to be weak. Then perhaps the root system is not good and rot may occur. Yellowing of bottom leaves is supposed to be natural but i'm not sure about the sticky stuff. Insecticide will not help since your problem is not be pests.

Perhaps others can help on this :)/>

This post has been edited by limxuanhong: 29 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

#3 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

These plant are extremely hardy, so something must be wrong inside the pot medium. you need to do some clearing of the pot beads and see what's cooking inside.

#4 User is offline   darwinkoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

Agree that Yucca is relatively a hardy.
Your Yucca has been attacked by fungus.
Cut away all inflected leaves... Spray with anti-fungus.. taking extra care to check the lower part of the leaves where fungus are normally concentrated.
Dun worry.. your Yucca will recover. :rolleyes:/>

#5 User is offline   sgblingff 

• Pip

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

I first noticed my Yucca not growing well several months back. But the condition is getting worst now, the leaves got those black/dark brown very often though I have cut away those affected parts on the leaves. And what are those brown sticky droplets I found on the leaves, I believe this is attacking my Yucca.

Since my plant is under those hydro-system, the pot is filled with brown bead-like pebbles. No soil. How can I clear to see the roots? Will it damage the hydro-system?

If I over-water the plant, will it cause it to be sick?

#6 User is offline   darwinkoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

View Postsgblingff, on Dec 30 2007, 11:18 AM, said:

I first noticed my Yucca not growing well several months back. But the condition is getting worst now, the leaves got those black/dark brown very often though I have cut away those affected parts on the leaves. And what are those brown sticky droplets I found on the leaves, I believe this is attacking my Yucca.

Since my plant is under those hydro-system, the pot is filled with brown bead-like pebbles. No soil. How can I clear to see the roots? Will it damage the hydro-system?

If I over-water the plant, will it cause it to be sick?

I would not want to put a Yucca under hydro-system if I were you. Cos Yucca is a semi-succulent and prefer bright and dry. Unless ur hydro-system can be adjusted to a minimal level. My feeling regarding the use of hydro system is for plant which prefer a constant moisture.. probably for for indoor palm (bamboo, raphis) and ficus (lyrata, elastica). I have a similarly size Yucca place in a similar location as yours. I only water it with a 500cc water per week.
But looking at the photos, I still believe it is attacked by fungus, spray a fungicide on the lower part of the leaf and get rid of affected leaves.

#7 User is offline   sgblingff 

• Pip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

After couple of months of looking after (I once pumped out the smelly water in the pot, and refill with clean water. And also cutting off those infested leaves), those black/brown droplets did not appear on the leaves of my Yucca. But the leaves are still turning yellow quite fast, though there are new leaves growing (but very slowly).

Lately, I noticed another problem with my Yucca which I need advice again. The stem of my Yucca seems to be turning hollow, especially bottom half of the stem. When I poke the stem with my finger, I can feel the outer bark is loose, like the inner bark strunk. When I hit gently, I can hear hollow-like sound.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/th_pestvideo.jpg

I tried to remove some pebbles near the stem, and I found slivery tiny bugs running around. Some even were found running on the stems.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/sgblingff/pest1024.jpg
Could this bugs be the caused of my hollowing stems? What shall I do now?

#8 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yikes! I think your Yucca would have been seriously affected by now.. the easy way is to just dump it. The harder way, would be to use systematic insecticides heavily on the plant, though I cannot guarantee its success as I think the pests have entered the core of the plant, technically a little too late...

#9 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

Its rotten at the bottom. The only way is to saw off the bottom, a clean cut. :(/>

Switch to soil planting on normal pot, looks like ceramic bead planting is not suitable for you.

#10 User is offline   sgblingff 

• Pip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Is so sad to hear that my Yucca is gone.
But where can I buy systematic insecticides? I really hope to try save my plant, have been with me for years.

#11 User is offline   smyl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:gardening

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

sgblingff, the brown bead like pebbles is Hydroton, commonly known as Leca.

Your stem is rotting. To be sure peel off a part of the stem with your nail and check. If it is yellow inside then the plant is dead. If it is green then you have some hope.

#12 User is offline   sgblingff 

• Pip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi smyl,

I made a hole and the inside of the stem is wet and brown. Any hope?
Btw, will the hole kill my plant?

#13 User is offline   spheredome 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Actually, the plant would have good success of survivial if you had saw off the rotten segment and re-plant the balance stem in soil earlier.

#14 User is offline   grfgguvf 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

sgblingff:

What happened to your Yucca also happened to mine, the exact same symptoms, but I think the climate is very different.

My Yucca's stem was brown, moist, completely rotten. Most leaves were yellow and dry. Others had the brows droplets.

What I did is cutting off the top part where the stem was still light in color, and torn off the dry leaves. I then put it into a sandy soil, and put it outside. I think the sunlight and wind/rain help a lot also in cleaning the leaves of dust and also in stopping fungus. Also, important is that the pot seems way too small for the size of your Yucca. Anyway, mine has completely recovered, new leaves appear every 2 day now.

It's been a while since you posted this but I think if you still have your plant it can be saved :D/>

#15 User is offline   kw3822 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Merchant

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

it looks like anthranose.
and the plant is slowly dying.
such cause may be due to many reasons. hard to pin point.
low light, plant is weaken. over watering...
such plants are best put close to a sunny spot where they can get enough sunlight. they can do well in-doors but with a lamp shining on them.
kw

#16 User is offline   sksg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

There is white powder thgy on my plant and it seems to be slowly turning yellow..other than the white powder, i cant find any bugs etc..any1 can help me? Thks

#17 User is offline   Yetat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

View Postsksg, on Apr 23 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

There is white powder thgy on my plant and it seems to be slowly turning yellow..other than the white powder, i cant find any bugs etc..any1 can help me? Thks

Powdery mildew?
http://en.wikipedia..../Powdery_mildew

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users