GCS Forum: Grow Strawberries in S'pore - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »

Grow Strawberries in S'pore

#21 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

i left it out 24 hrs per day...was fine for the first week but suddenly got burnt xP...around 10+ seedlings die...left around 5 now...~_~...growing another new patch xP
0

#22 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Oh no! It's so heartbreaking. I hope the remaining seedlings will do well.
0

#23 Guestphilliptan_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Wait, lemme get this right... Rikkuzx, you bought strawberries from the supermarket and plunked the seeds into soil and they sprouted? :lol:/>
0

#24 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

Yea, thats what i did. Im not sure whether it will sprout so easily now because the weather is getting hotter but my leftover seedlings seem to doing quite fine with sunlight 24hrs and shades xP


3 - 5 days old seedlings before the scorching happens. I left it out in the sun for a week with cover on without anything happen until the sun got too hot T_T
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/ryu_xian/DSC00706.jpg

This post has been edited by Velvetine: 19 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

0

#25 Guestphilliptan_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

Nice, thanks!

Time to get a punnet!! :lol:/>
0

#26 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

However from the infos gathered from webs, strawberries seeds are to be scatter on the top of the soil and not to bury them. For seeds tat I buried did not grow, but seeds that I scattered sprouted in a week time.
0

#27 Guestphilliptan_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

Okie dokies, will try that. Thanks! B)/>
0

#28 User is offline   begonia 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 14-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:East.
  • Interests:Episcias, Begonias, house plants, Monstrosa Aurentiaca (Purple Velvet Plant), Wandering Jew, black bat lily, Green Jade Vine. Red Jade Vine.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hello frens. Does any one know if the wild indigenous 'strawberry' growing in Singapore is edible? These 'strawberries' look like v small strawberries, about the size of your little fingernail. The white seeds (on the skin of normal strawberries) can hardly be seen on the 'strawberries' I'm referring to. The plant is v small, nearly like a creeper with green leaves. A rare roadside plant. Any one growing this plant or know where they're growing? Hope the Singapore NParks Board will grow them in the new public parks at Marina Bay. (It should be renamed Merlion Bay). Thanks. Happy Lunar New Year of the Mouse frens.
0

#29 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

View Postrikkuzx, on Jan 17 2008, 12:09 AM, said:

Yea, thats what i did. Im not sure whether it will sprout so easily now because the weather is getting hotter but my leftover seedlings seem to doing quite fine with sunlight 24hrs and shades xP


3 - 5 days old seedlings before the scorching happens. I left it out in the sun for a week with cover on without anything happen until the sun got too hot T_T
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/ryu_xian/DSC00706.jpg


Hi Rikkuzx,

Thanks for sharing the pics! Now, I'm only left with 1 seedling...sob...sob... I have buried some Korean Strawberry seeds with some of the fruit's flesh. Hopefully, there'll be good news soon.



Hi Phill,

Looks like you're joining in the fun too....kekeke. Let us know how yours are growing.


Hi Begonia,
I haven't seen the fruit you mentioned. It'll be great if you could post a pic and probably someone could identify it. Thanks!

Happy Lunar New Year to All!
0

#30 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

View Postwishingtree, on Jan 20 2008, 12:32 AM, said:

Hi Rikkuzx,

Thanks for sharing the pics! Now, I'm only left with 1 seedling...sob...sob... I have buried some Korean Strawberry seeds with some of the fruit's flesh. Hopefully, there'll be good news soon.



Hi Phill,

Looks like you're joining in the fun too....kekeke. Let us know how yours are growing.


Hi Begonia,
I haven't seen the fruit you mentioned. It'll be great if you could post a pic and probably someone could identify it. Thanks!

Happy Lunar New Year to All!


Korean strawberries? high investment xP. I bought a strawberry drink today and found some seeds in it. Maybe I could try these out too xP
0

#31 User is offline   hyper99 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 237
  • Joined: 27-November 07

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

View Postbegonia, on Jan 19 2008, 08:44 AM, said:

Hello frens. Does any one know if the wild indigenous 'strawberry' growing in Singapore is edible? These 'strawberries' look like v small strawberries, about the size of your little fingernail. The white seeds (on the skin of normal strawberries) can hardly be seen on the 'strawberries' I'm referring to. The plant is v small, nearly like a creeper with green leaves. A rare roadside plant. Any one growing this plant or know where they're growing? Hope the Singapore NParks Board will grow them in the new public parks at Marina Bay. (It should be renamed Merlion Bay). Thanks. Happy Lunar New Year of the Mouse frens.



Do you know the name of this species of strawberry? I think i have seen it before .. it has yellow flowers ..
I didnt think that it is would be edible. :huh:/>
0

#32 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

How is everyone else with the strawberry 'experiment'? Mine all 'mati' liao. Haiz.... gotta get more strawberries to try. The one in the freezer is about 5wks under cold germination. I'll wait till the 16th week....tick, tick, tick..... zzzzzzz... 1/3 of my way there.

This post has been edited by wishingtree: 28 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

0

#33 User is offline   Wisteria 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3713
  • Joined: 12-October 07
  • Gender:Female

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

View Postbegonia, on Jan 19 2008, 08:44 AM, said:

Hello frens. Does any one know if the wild indigenous 'strawberry' growing in Singapore is edible? These 'strawberries' look like v small strawberries, about the size of your little fingernail. The white seeds (on the skin of normal strawberries) can hardly be seen on the 'strawberries' I'm referring to. The plant is v small, nearly like a creeper with green leaves. A rare roadside plant. Any one growing this plant or know where they're growing? Hope the Singapore NParks Board will grow them in the new public parks at Marina Bay. (It should be renamed Merlion Bay). Thanks. Happy Lunar New Year of the Mouse frens.



I have something similar to what you describe. Not sure if it's the same thing.
The one in my garden is called Potentilla indica or mock strawberry ( 蛇莓 / 地莓).
I heard that it's edible but I don't eat it. It grows easily just like a weed. Tiny yellow flowers & red fruits.
0

#34 Guestphilliptan_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

View Postwishingtree, on Jan 28 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

Hi,

How is everyone else with the strawberry 'experiment'? Mine all 'mati' liao. Haiz.... gotta get more strawberries to try. The one in the freezer is about 5wks under cold germination. I'll wait till the 16th week....tick, tick, tick..... zzzzzzz... 1/3 of my way there.


Hmmm... cold stratification could work... let us know.

I haven't got my strawberries yet thanks to this leg injury... :rolleyes:/>
0

#35 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

The seeds that I stored in the fridge for later uses still sprouted. The leftover seedlings from the scorch are having their first true leaf currently. New batch of seeds that I sowed had sprouted 3 days ago. xP However the new batch are not as healthy looking as the ones I grew earlier. Probably due to the weather getting hotter =/

This post has been edited by rikkuzx: 28 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

0

#36 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hi Wisteria,
Thanks for the ID. I haven't seen this plant before if not for your info.

Hi Phill,
How is your injury? Still enjoying the MC? kekekeke. I hope the pain has gone away and you recover soon.

Hi Rikkuzx,
Wonderful to hear that your 1st batch of seedlings has developed their true leaves. Well Done!
0

#37 User is offline   rikkuzx 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 09-January 08
  • Location:Pasir Ris

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

After close to 2 months, my largest seedlings only starting to produce its third true leaf. Anyone have such a slow growth as well? :huh:/>
0

#38 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

View Postrikkuzx, on Feb 10 2008, 10:32 PM, said:

After close to 2 months, my largest seedlings only starting to produce its third true leaf. Anyone have such a slow growth as well? :huh:/>


Hi Rikkuzx,

At least, yours survived. Mine all conked! Arrrrrgh! I'll have to try again and also patiently waiting for those in the freezers. Good luck to you.
0

#39 Guestphilliptan_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

View Postwishingtree, on Jan 29 2008, 10:41 AM, said:

Hi Phill,
How is your injury? Still enjoying the MC? kekekeke. I hope the pain has gone away and you recover soon.


Wishingtree, so very very sorry to have missed your post. Thanks for asking! :lol:/> I'm pretty much ok now. Still limping with a bit of pain but I can walk. It does feel tight though and feels as if I'll pull it again anytime so I'm taking things easy. Am already back at work. B)/>
0

#40 User is offline   wishingtree 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 31-October 07
  • Location:North-East S'pore
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

View Postphilliptan, on Feb 16 2008, 12:46 PM, said:

Wishingtree, so very very sorry to have missed your post. Thanks for asking! :lol:/> I'm pretty much ok now. Still limping with a bit of pain but I can walk. It does feel tight though and feels as if I'll pull it again anytime so I'm taking things easy. Am already back at work. B)/>


Hi Phill, I'm glad to hear that you are better. Easy on your movements. Get well soon!
0

Share this topic:


  • 6 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users