GCS Forum: Grow Strawberries in S'pore - GCS Forum

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

Grow Strawberries in S'pore

#1 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

Recently, I read the other thread in Yr 2006 that someone managed to grow strawberries in S'pore and wanted to try it myself. I managed to buy a few pkts of seeds from Horti and sowed some in the soil. It's been 3 weeks and nothing happens. I decided to try the cold stratification technique with some of the seeds and sown it on tissue so that I could monitor the germination....tick....tick...tick....wait and wait.

Anyone here has experience in growing strawberries from seeds and would like to share your valuable experience?

#2 Guestphilliptan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

I've seen whole strawberry plants sold at World Farm (for $18 IIRC)... I don't know if those will survive. I only know they need lots of sun and are grown on elevated patches.

Let's hope your experiment works! Keep us posted!

#3 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Growing herbs, particularly Lavenders, photography, nature walks, fishing, reading, sewing, experiments, furniture restoration, home decor and travel.

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hi Philliptan,

Thanks for the info. Hmmmm.... $18 is not expensive. I wonder those who had their strawberry plants in 2006 still have it going? My dad and uncle each bought a pot of Strawberry plant for RM$10 in JB, I think and they are all doing fine. My uncle tasted the Strawberry and said that it's sour...hehehe.

Yup! I'll keep all of you posted of the progress of my experiment. Cheers!

#4 User is offline   dxgn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:gardening

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

Strawberry definitely needs a number of chill hours before they are sweet.

#5 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

i read up that the strawberries need time to develop it's taste. strawberries that ripe too soon will taste bland. therefore, they need a cooler temperature to slow down the ripening process.

#6 User is offline   hyper99 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

I have a pot of strawberries from my aunt :)/>
they dont seem to be doing very well...the new leaves they are producing are small and are infested by aphids :(/>
Furthermore, I did not put them in full sun as I feared that they might get over heated ...
However, my aunt managed to make them flower and fruit under shade .. :rolleyes:/>

#7 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi Hyper99,
Did u taste the fruit? My uncle had his in a hanging basket in his shady patio. Dad had it planted in the ground, slightly raised, under the shade of his dwarf coconut tree. :)/>

Did your aunt hand pollinated the flowers?

#8 User is offline   hyper99 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

The fruits were still green. so i didnt have the chance :)/>
i doubt that she hand pollinated it... but i thunk its betterto do it :D/>
as I do that for all my plants.

#9 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:21 AM

View Postwishingtree, on Dec 18 2007, 11:52 AM, said:

Hi Philliptan,

Thanks for the info. Hmmmm.... $18 is not expensive. I wonder those who had their strawberry plants in 2006 still have it going? My dad and uncle each bought a pot of Strawberry plant for RM$10 in JB, I think and they are all doing fine. My uncle tasted the Strawberry and said that it's sour...hehehe.

Yup! I'll keep all of you posted of the progress of my experiment. Cheers!

You're welcome, wishingtree... I don't know if they still have stock though.

Hmmm... sour strawberries eh? Not a surprise for me... I've never tasted sweet strawberries in my life. Maybe it's bad luck. Even after plucking 2 kgs of fresh strawberries from a strawberry farm in Mornington Peninsula, Victoria... and buying another two punnets' worth from Coles Supermarket... and still no joy. Gave up and ended up eating them with melted chocolate instead... Never touched strawberries since. :lol:/>

#10 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

Hi Hyper99.

Hehehe.... I would have to hand pollinate too as I don't see bees or butterflies visiting my balcony. Probably, I need to plant some Marigolds and Calendulas to attract them. I understand that the strawberries are best ripe on the plant. Let us know how they taste.

Hi Philliptan,

Buying a strawberry plant will be my last straw if all fails....heeheehee. Awwwww... you don't know what you've missed out. I've tasted sweet strawberries in S'pore :drool:/> . I bought a tray from Cold Storage 16pcs for $14. It may sound pricey but each piece was quite big, approx half a lady's palm-size, value for money. Another time I bought this brand, Driscolle's (IISC) Organic Strawberries, must look for the print 'sweet strawberries' on the label, and they are really sweet. I bought other brands that had that stated on the label and they all tasted tarty and acidic... yucks! My dad tasted very sweet self-picked strawberries from the farm in Gold Coast. Korean strawberries are known to be sweet too. It cost me $8+ a small punnet from NTUC. Try to lookout for these when the season comes.

I gathered from the web that some strawberry seeds may take like 5wks to germinate. So, I guess my loooong wait is normal, 3wks only....hahaha. Aiyo, I'm quite confused: some article advice no direct sunlight, cover with newspaper during germination, while some said light encourages germination :blink:/> May be I'll wait for 5wks and if nothing happens, I'll cover with newspaper for another 5wks.....hahaha LOL.

They like acidic soil. Hmmmm..... anyone knows if I water it with rainwater will that increase the acid level of the soil?

Side track a bit: I'm also trying to start a collection of lavenders. They like alkaline soil. Can anyone advise me on this, organic solutions please. Many thanks!

This post has been edited by wishingtree: 20 December 2007 - 03:11 AM

#11 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

Haha, ok, I will give strawberries another chance. :lol:/>

As for lavenders, there's only one person you should call... Joyce aka LG aka lavendergarden. Everyone else is just struggling with them. :lol:/>

Pls, just call me Phill. Philliptan is a mouthful.

#12 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:58 AM

Hi Phill,

Yes, I've been keeping in touch with Lavendergarden and she's given me lotsa great tips.... a real lavender expert here.

#13 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

Oh yes she is. I'm amazed with the ease at which she grows her lavenders. A few cuttings I got from her went to planet heaven within a week. :huh:/>

#14 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

really? rooted cuttings dead within a week? I'll be getting some from her too. :D/> Btw, did you try to grow strawberries?

#15 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

Oh, no, they were not rooted... just fresh cuttings. Hmmm... I dunno abt strawberries... one, I'm sceptical abt the chances that they will grow well here and two, I'm not quite a strawberry fan, remember? :lol:/> But for the potential sense of achievement should they grow well, yea, I did think abt it...

#16 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

oh, unrooted cuttings are difficult to survive. try again :)/> . i'm considering of conducting a few experiments on the strawberry seeds:

1) w/ and w/o cold stratification method
2) w/ and w/o light germination

#17 User is offline   rikkuzx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

I got interested in strawberries lately however did not know that someone had already grew strawberries in Singapore before. I've tried seeds of strawberries about 3 to 4 weeks ago and they have sucessfully sprouted without any additional items other than just seeds, soil and water. I used fresh seeds from strawberries which are imported from egpyt or whatever it is spelt. Now the plants are growing their third leaf. =)

#18 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

Hi Rikkuzx,

Well done! I also plonked a slightly mouldy strawberry in my planter. Ya, approx. 3 to 4 weeks I found a seedling which I can't be sure if it's a weed or strawberry. Konk after I tranferred it out and same with the 2nd. I think there's high chance that they are strawberries because that's where I buried the fruit. It can't possibly the coincidence of having weeds growing only on the same spot. Now I have the 3rd, 4th and 5th, I daren't transfer....hahahaha(LOL) for fear the same fate. Will wait till it's bigger then I'll do something about it. Currently, they only have a pair of leaves.

I read that fresh strawberry seeds are easier to break dormancy, perhaps it's true. The seeds I purchased are still in the freezer. I'll wait till it's 4mths in cold germination before I sow them.

Did you remove the seeds or plonk the whole thing like I did? I think Egypt strawberries don't taste good, sour and bland, less of the fragrant. I know that Korea Strawberries are sweet. May be you should try it. Look forward to hearing more from you :D/> ! Hope you'll keep us posted of your progress with the strawberries.

#19 User is offline   rikkuzx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

i transplanted some of them even though in their 2 leaves state...but the hot sun scorched some of them, forgot to keep in house after giving some sunlight. xP...i was just testing to see whether i can grow strawberries therefore i used the cheapest strawberries i can find xP

i removed the seeds from the strawberries as i search the web and it says that rotting strawberries might get the seeds to rot too...not sure whether if its true.

This post has been edited by rikkuzx: 15 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

#20 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Same here... my 1st one got scorched. 2nd one, may be too wet. Now only left with 1 seedling to fiddle. I'm not sure if the seeds will rot with the flesh, because they do have hard shell.

How is yours coming?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users